Home About Me Contact Recipe Index

RSS FeedTwitterFacebookEmail

Blog Archives

Categories

Dark chocolate raspberry upside-down cake

Don’t waste your time asking yourself what you’re going to get your sweetie for this Hallmark holiday. Just embark on a mission to make something out of this world delicious that comes from the heart.

I’m talking about this cake people.

This delicious, moist, beautiful dark chocolate raspberry upside-down cake.

This cake will most likely blow your mind. If it isn’t the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert, I don’t know what is. And frankly if you’re going to go parading around your love for someone, you might as well do it right.

Fancy restaurants are not on the itinerary. Don’t worry champagne still is!

Let’s save the best for last. Start with a home cooked meal. Men are fans of large dinners. Men love food. Men will eat until they can’t eat anymore. Then they will eat two pieces of cake…how do they do it? It’s a man power that I can’t understand.

Just know that if you can cook good food they will adore you. Simple!

Add a little rosemary, extra garlic, & lemony love to some chicken. Lots of fingerling potatoes plus a dash of salt & pepper too! Pop in the oven to roast, and look cute while doing it.

Serve cake next. Sprinkle with pretty powdered sugar. Pour a glass of champagne. Or two.

Congratulations, you’re now a keeper. (I knew you already were though)

But seriously, don’t go throwing these dishes around unless you’re sure you want someone to fall for you. These are matters of the heart after all.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Love, Monique

Dark chocolate raspberry upside-down cake

By Monique of Ambitious Kitchen

makes two 9-inch round cakes

1 3/4 cups granulated sugar

2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup dark cocoa powder

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1 cup plain greek yogurt

1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3/4 cup boiling water

2 cups fresh raspberries

4 tablespoons brown sugar

2 tablespoons of butter for greasing pans

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Generously butter cake pans and sprinkle 2 tbsp brown sugar in each. Next add a generous 1 cup of raspberries to each cake pan.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixer bowl. Add eggs, yogurt, butter, and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes. Mix in boiling water – the batter will be fairly thin. Pour batter over the raspberries into prepared pans evenly.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes on a wire rack, then place a plate on top of the pan and use both hands to flip it over. You may need to use a knife to run along the edges first. Place it upside-down on a sturdy surface and knock the bottom a few times until you feel the cake release onto the plate. Replace any raspberries that were dislodged.Do the same with the next pan, except place the cake directly on top of the other so they are stacked.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar or top with whip cream. Whatever your heart desires.

21 Responses to Dark chocolate raspberry upside-down cake

• Callie says:

This looks delicious! I’m now drooling at work.

Happy Valentines Day, love

• Tammy says:

This is soooooo gooooood. Easier to make than I thought it would be. I had to use frozen raspberries, because my store was out of fresh. The co-workers loved it. Will definitely make again.
    Thanks for the great recipe!

• Stacey says:

Sounds delicious! Any thoughts on trying with cherries?

• Lynn says:

What kind of dark cocoa powder do you use? Can it be found at a “bricks & mortar” store in southern CA?

• Monique says:

Lynn, I’m not sure! You should be able to find it at your local grocer’s or you could order it online. :) Let me know if you need help finding it.

• Pingback: Banana “Ice Cream” with Toasted Coconut, Almonds, & Dark Chocolate | Ambitious Kitchen

• Lynn says:

Thank you Monique – I found the dark cocoa powder. I will want to serve this cake at a luncheon, and I hope to bake it the night before. Do you have any storage advice? I am a bit concerned about the raspberries – will they stay fresh? I am thinking that I should wait to sprinkle the powdered sugar until shortly before serving. Any advice would be appreciated. I enjoy baking, but this is a little different for me, and I want it to go well. Thanks again!

• Monique says:

Lynn,
      That’s so exciting to hear that you are baking it for a luncheon; I would store it in a cake carrier with a snap lid — they will most likely have these at a Target or Walmart store. The raspberries will stay fresh, but definetly wait until the next day to top powdered sugar. Or if you want it even more decadent, I suggest a chocolate glaze.

• Nathan Beale says:

I asked my wife to make me this cake for my birthday. I seriously can’t think of a cake I’ve had that I like better. This cake is amazing.

• jody says:

do you think this would work in a bundt pan?

• Maya says:

I just finished making this today for my mom’s 40th birthday. :) It turned out amazing, so fluffy and moist!
    I used cherries instead of raspberries and it worked great. Love you’re recipes, and now my mom does too! :D

• Maddie says:

I made this cake for my dog Maddie Jr.’s birthday party, and she loved it!!:) Us humans thought it was pretty great too!!

• Made this today with fresh picked raspberries off our neighbour’s bushes. Absolutely fabulous! Only had vanilla flavoured Greek yogurt so cut the sugar to half a cup and omitted the vanilla extract. Really, really moist and chocolatey. Served with vanilla ice cream and everyone wanted seconds!