This past weekend I slept. And slept. And slept some more. I’ve discovered that as much as I’m a night owl, I really do need my sleep to function because otherwise I start craving bowls of Cheerios and peanut butter straight from the jar. No bueno for my figure.
Besides sleeping, I’ve been over thinking things. Mostly like where my life is going and what I’m doing with it. To distract myself, I made pancakes with salted dark chocolate, chugged coffee, and watched a movie starring Zac Efron.
From there I went into major creative mode which translated into a brain dump of culinary madness in my kitchen. Mostly things that remind me of fall. I’m SO ready to get cozy in my sweats, eat soup, and cuddle up on the couch with a cup of hot cocoa and a ridiculous amount of whipped cream. I’ve been giving sneak peeks of upcoming posts via Instagram, so be sure to check it out!
Remember when I told you about that handsome guy I met on vacation? Well… he’s coming to visit me. I told you the weirdest things happen to me. Or maybe the most romantic things happen to me?
Since I’ve already baked him my famous cookies, I figure that I might as well fill him up with my other favorite carb: pasta! Cheesy, comforting pasta covered in a mind-blowing homemade tomato sauce. I think he’s going to love it. And I think you will, too!
First begin with a pound of Just BARE Chicken Breast Fillets.
I love Just Bare Chicken because there aren’t any added hormones or antibiotics used – ever! And, every package features a unique traceability code that tells you the location of the family farmers who raised your chicken. You can learn more by heading to their website or Facebook page.
Welp, it’s Monday. I have a lot of things that I need to share with you. So let’s just get to it!
1. I got an iPhone. My life has officially changed… I don’t know if it’s for the better since I’m pretty obsessed. This weekend my godson downloaded like 5 ninja apps. He also read my texts. Yes, quite entertaining. Oh and obviously I now have Instagram. I basically just take photos of food, brown butter, and things that don’t matter. SO COOL, right? Wrong.
2. I’m headed to NYC this week! Eeeek! Can you believe that I’ve never been before? I am SO excited. I’ll only be there a few days, but trust me,you are going to want to see the recap. We’re staying in the Trump tower! I also really need some incredible restaurant recommendations so send them my way puhhhlease?
3. My birthday is in like, a month and 10 days… but who’s counting? ANYWAY due to this immediate holiday coming up, I have to start thinking about what I really want to do. I have concluded that I need an incredible meal, followed by a HOMEMADE pumpkin pie served with real whip cream. Really, it’s all I want. Or a trip to Greece. Either one would work.
4. That being said, Thanksgiving is soon. There will be epic desserts on this blog in the next coming weeks. Bear with me as we expand our waistlines… OR you could just make the recipes for other people and give them yoga pants for Christmas.
5. This HUMMUS needs to be made by you. Also bonus points if you make homemade pita chips and eat it for breakfast because you know that’s what I did. I have to thank the fabulous Giada for the inspiration. I have to thank myself for slathering it over everything in sight.
My basil plant is still producing huge leaves, so I decided that it was time to use them up. Holy italian-hummus-love this is GOOD. The basil, garlic, and white bean hummus makes the perfect appetizer and is pretty great on just about anything.
Hummus on sandwiches. Hummus for breakfast. Hummus snacking is totally good. I would know, I dipped carrots, snowpeas, and every veggie imaginable in it. At one point I contemplated putting it on a granola bar, but decided that was taking it too far. But I don’t know. It might still happen.
Oh and the whole making your own pita chips thing? Probably the easiest thing you could ever do. I usually buy the 100 calorie whole wheat pita bread. Western Bagel makes an amazing high-fiber, lower-carb pita bread, but feel free to use any you like!
It’s coming to a point on my Facebook where everyone is becoming engaged. I don’t know what’s happening?
I mean, any time I even think about having a boyfriend I can’t help but laugh; all of the guys I go on dates with are either A) committed to work, B) completely awkward, or C) have questionable intentions. But I guess that’s what happens when you are 23.
So for now I think I’ll stick to single lady things until the man of my dreams (who might resemble Joshua Jackson aka Pacey from Dawson’s Creek) comes into my life. Plus if I had a boyfriend I probably couldn’t get away with making him eat quinoa and kale instead of manly beer battered onion rings and cups of BBQ sauce… or whatever Burger King is advertising this week.
What are your thoughts on that?
Hmmm, got it.
Let’s move on discuss adult things. Like salads.
My mom used to make a big batch of raw kale salad with lemon, olive oil, garlic, and bell peppers. She would let it still a few hours until the lemon juice broke down the kale and the flavors became melded together; it was sensational.
I just wanted to tell you all that I’m in a Starbucks writing this post. I’m hungrier than a lion and those little salted caramel cake pops are staring at me. Seriously, whoever invented those is a genius because I want to destroy about three of them… with my mouth.
Sorry if that was too much, but writing about food, staring at food, and smelling food is making me a little bit weird. Minus the fact that I’m already weird, so this post is just extremely weird. Got it?
Anyway I’ve gathered all of my willpower so we can chat about what’s been actually going down in my kitchen. About a month ago I posted a simple photo of tilapia on my Facebook page. Many of you asked for the recipe, so although I don’t have photos of the finished, plated meal, I thought that you would still enjoy it. But here’s some truth: half of the things I create or bake don’t end up on my blog. Sometimes it’s simply because I didn’t snap a photo; realistically it’s because I’m a little bit of a perfectionist now that I own a nice camera. Most of the food I create is made at night for dinner, so finding time to set up a photoshoot when I’m hungry can be difficult. Not to mention I only use natural lighting, so I’m a little bit bummed that it’s getting darker, earlier.
Let me introduce you what’s been happening. Usually my kitchen is a mess.
Mostly because I make a lot of pancakes. Like every morning. They’re always different and damn, they are delicious.
I’ve also been making a lot of brown butter and sea salt chocolate chip cookies. While they are amazing, I can’t say they benefit my waistline. Oh well… WORTH IT.
To balance it out, I eat A LOT of veggies. Roasted in garlic and tossed in olive oil. I could eat the entire pan… and often times I do.
Snack time happens a lot. I’ve been drinking vegan kale green monster smoothies (I have a recipe coming soon).
I think they totally make me kissable. My kale bag thinks so too.