Healthy Chai-Spiced Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins with a lovely vanilla bean cream cheese glaze!
I spent last night catching up with one of my best friends; we don’t live near each other so it’s wonderful being able to chat for an hour or two. Unfortunately I haven’t seen her in almost a year, but I think a trip to Chicago for New Years is in the works now!
Speaking of Chicago, I’m actually headed there over Thanksgiving and couldn’t be more thrilled! Michgan Ave, high rises, shopping, incredible food, and that gorgeous water. For some reason that city speaks to my heart.
It just so happens that food also speaks to my heart (obviously). Lately, I can’t get enough pumpkin! Wait a sec. I can never have enough pumpkin. If you guys have been reading my blog, you know it’s just one of my serious obsessions. I’m even asking for pumpkin pie for my birthday this year! Weird, I know… but what else can you expect from me?
I’ve been hoarding these muffins for a good month! Shame on me. I’m sorry to do that to you.
To be honest, I couldn’t even remember what they tasted like so I convinced myself to test the recipe once more before posting; I will never forgot these again. The muffins were superb, full of pumpkin and chai flavors, and incredibly moist. Seriously probably my favorite muffin ever. EVER you guys!
Hope you guys all had a great weekend!
Yesterday my Mom and I went on a lovely 20 mile bike ride through gorgeous Minnesota trails. I loved riding outdoors again; it had been too long! Of course now my legs are killing me, but I suppose that’s a good thing.
It occurred to me that I get incredibly hungry both during and after my rides, and so it’s probably a good idea to pack healthy snacks with me to provide me with extra energy. Granola bars are great and all but come on, who doesn’t love a lovely little muffin to snack on?! Obviously I’m a MUFFIN LOVER FOR LIFE and today I’m sharing my favorite muffin recipes from my blog.
All of these muffins have a few things in common: they’re healthy, focus on clean ingredients, and are all under 200 calories! They really are the perfect breakfast or snack — plus they’re freezer friendly, too! It’s great to have grab ‘n go breakfasts just in case you wake up late, or even for a kid’s lunchbox treat! Just pop them in the microwave for about a minute and you’re good to go!
Random Friday posts are good sometimes, right? They add a little jazz in between the food porn shots.
And so, here we go. I’m telling you 10 random things about me. There’s no rhyme or reason to it!
- I blew out the speakers on my new car after a month. I’m going to go deaf. No biggie.
- I eat peanut butter out of the jar on a daily basis. Don’t even try to judge that right there. That’s real life.
- My dog is nicknamed Oscar de La Renta. He’s proud. I’m going to buy him a pink collar soon. He’ll figure it out.
- I have plans to attend culinary school. Someday, somehow! Let me pay off all of my student loans first. Or win the lottery?
- If I wasn’t so into food and cooking, I’d probably be a fitness instructor, doctor, or nutritionist.
- I have to confess that I drank close to a bottle of wine after my juice cleanse. Do you think that reversed the cleanse? Meh.
- I am addicted to BuzzFeed. You should be too.
- That new Almond Joy frosting was spooned out of the jar last week…. straight into my mouth. I suggest you find it and do the same.
- Zac Efron and I will get married someday. Obviously.
- These zucchini banana muffins? MY FAVORITE MUFFINS EVER! NO SERIOUSLY. EVER.
Ahhhhh I live for the weekends, and this last one was just so lovely and relaxing. I mean who doesn’t love laying in bed an extra half hour on Saturday mornings? These days, it’s a luxury.
That being said, I’m starting to realize that I can no longer be sleep deprived, over-caffeinate myself, and still function like a normal human being. My habits of staying up until 1AM on the weekdays are starting to wear on me. Also, I should make a note to stop checking my email at 3AM. Clearly I have no idea what the term ‘unplugged’ means.
Oh well. On to more exciting things…
On Saturday I found 10 bananas in a brown paper bag that I had purchased eariler in the week. Thank goodness because I was in a baking mood! MUFFINS, BREADS, COOKIES… I can’t stop.
Bananas are my absolute favorite! They pack potassium and digestible (good-for-you) carbs. So, what does this mean? Well, they give your body fuel and pretty much make you feel like a rock star. But not the kind of rock stars that do drugs.
In all seriousness, I love baking with bananas because they add moisture, act as a binder, and have enough flavor where you don’t need to add additional sugar.