For some reason I’ve never been a huge mac and cheese lover. That’s weird, right? I know that some people consider it to be the best comfort food in the world but I err on the breakfast side of things. As a kid, I preferred cereal or my Dad’s pancakes more than any dinner type food.
But let me tell you something… things straight up changed after I created this recipe. I was actually quite shocked that macaroni and cheese could be this good. Incredible, actually. The best thing is that it’s better for you, lactose free and SO easy to make – all you need is a pot, a strainer and a few delicious ingredients.
I know it probably sounds a little crazy that I’m making claims like BEST MAC AND CHEESE EVER, but you’ll never know until you try it. The cheese sauce is incredibly creamy, ooey-gooey and no one can tell that it’s lactose and soy free! When I was doing a photoshoot of this recipe I kept spooning the mac and cheese into my mouth; I’m telling you I just couldn’t help myself.
Now I know some of you are lactose intolerant, others of you might be looking for healthier options, so we should chat about this awesome cheese alternative.
Yes, it actually tastes like cheese. And guess what? It melts too! Want proof? Just look at the photos below.
The GO Veggie! Cheddar shreds I used in this recipe are tummy-friendly and better for you than dairy cheese — 50% more calcium, just about the same amount of protein, half the fat, 35% fewer cals and no cholesterol or saturated fat. In fact, 1/3 of a cup only has 70 calories and 4g of fat. I was pretty happy about that. (For my vegan friends, GO Veggie! also makes a completely dairy free line).
Please make this AMAZING mac and cheese. You’ll never go back to the frozen or boxed stuffed. Bonus: It’s the easiest thing to whip up when you’re craving some comfort food!
More healthy pasta recipes you’ll love:
15 minute Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 oz elbow macaroni noodles (preferably whole grain)
- 1 tablespoon vegan buttery spread
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 package GO Veggie! Lactose and Soy Free Cheddar Shreds (about 2 ½ cups)
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook noodles according to package directions in a large pot. Drain and then pour back into the pot.
- Reduce heat to low and immediately add in buttery spread, almond milk and GO Veggie! Cheddar Shreds. Gently stir with a wooden spoon until cheese begins to melt and form into a nice and thick sauce. If it’s WAY too thick, add in ¼ cup more of almond milk, just remember we want creamy, not soupy mac and cheese.
- Stir in flaxseed meal for added nutrition if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes about 4 servings. Enjoy!
For added nutrition such as fiber and omegas, add in the flaxseed meal.
You can also stir in peas, cauliflower or broccoli!
I like using whole grain macaroni noodles, but whole grain fusilli would also work.
Feel free to use real butter instead of a vegan buttery spread if you aren't dairy free.
Disclosure: This post is in partnership with Go Veggie! All opinions are my own. Thanks for continuing to support Ambitious Kitchen!