A healthy sesame chicken stir fry with veggies and an incredible coconut-ginger brown rice! You’re going to love this easy meal!
So you probably know by now that traveling is one of my favorite things to do. Isn’t it amazing how traveling the world can open up your eyes to new feelings, people, and things that you’d never thought you’d do or see? Each time I go somewhere new, I’m learning something about myself. And guess where I’m going next? Australia!
My boyfriend and I are leaving in less than 2 weeks; we’re beyond excited to explore beautiful beaches, surf, snorkel, relax, hike, and eat amazing food.
Speaking of amazing food, I’ve been trying to keep things light in preparation for my trip. A body like Beyoncé is on my list To-Do List for 2014, but I have to admit that it’s pretty hard to make that happen when you work at a place that makes cake products, frosting, cereal, and more. Basically I just eat all day.
I do feel like I’m off to a good start though; my workouts are consistent and I’ve been eating well. I’m really into clean eating lately (minimal processed foods). Since I LOVE Mexican and Asian flavors, I’ve been enjoying a lot of vegetarian taco salads and veggie packed meals like this chicken sesame stir fry!
AND THIS STIR FRY = ALL THE HEALTHY DELICIOUSNESS PACKED IN A SKILLET.
I love this recipe because not only is it easy, but it’s actually pretty healthy. Just chicken, spices, veggies all in a skillet. The ginger coconut rice is amazing and the cashews add a delightful crunch.
Stir-frys are fantastic because you can totally make them your own – add in pineapple, orange zest, your favorite veggies, or even extra spices. Don’t you love when recipes are versatile?
Anyway I challenge you to whip this up. Serve it to your friends or loved ones. Just don’t forget to save some for tomorrow’s lunch… wrapped in a burrito, maybe?
Yep, from January 14th through February 28th, you can visit the contest website for a chance to win $500! All you have to do is suggest 5 ingredients you’d pair with Just BARE chicken – how easy! Ten finalists will be chosen and each will win $500.
After that, myself and a few other select bloggers will take the winning top ingredient lists and create recipes with them, then you’ll have the opportunity to vote for the winning recipe on the Just BARE Facebook page which will determine a grand prize winner.
I can’t wait to see which 5 ingredients you guys suggest because I love coming up with creative, healthy recipes! Follow the contest on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtag #ChickenPlus5.
If you’re looking for some inspiration, check out Just BARE chicken’s digital cookbook full of 5 ingredient recipes!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post. I was compensated to create a recipe for Just BARE® chicken. However, opinions are my own. Thanks for continuing to support Ambitious Kitchen!
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 4
- Calories: 513
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 59.5g
- Sugar: 12.4g
- Fiber: 6.4g
- Protein: 45.2g
- FOR THE RICE:
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup vanilla coconut milk (I used So Delicious Sugar-Free – but any will work)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice (I used Brown Jasmine Rice found at Trader Joe's)
- 2 tablespoons sweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup cashews, crushed
- FOR THE CHICKEN STIR FRY:
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or red chili sauce
- 1 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons coconut or olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Just BARE Chicken Breasts, cut into chunks or bite sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions, if desired
- In a medium saucepan, bring coconut milk, chicken broth, and ginger to a boil. Once at a boil, add rice, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook as directed on rice package or until rice is light and fluffy; mine usually takes 30 minutes or so. Once done cooking stir in coconut flakes and crushed cashews.
- While the rice is cooking, you can prepare the chicken stir-fry: In a medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, chili sauce (sriracha), sesame oil, and cornstarch; set aside.
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium high heat. Add in 1 teaspoon of your coconut or olive oil. Once oil is hot and shimmering, add chicken and cook until done – about 4-5 minutes. Remember to stir the chicken every so often while cooking. Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a plate for later.
- Add in another teaspoon of coconut or olive oil to the pan and add in garlic, snap peas, bell pepper, and broccoli; cook for 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are desired consistency. Next add in brown sugar- soy sauce mixture to the veggies and stir until the sauce thickens up a bit – about a minute or two. Finally add in chicken and toss all together to coat chicken. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Divide evenly into 4 bowls - top with green onions if desired.
Feel free to use any coconut milk. I find that the vanilla coconut milk adds a nice sweetness to the rice. I buy Sugar Free Vanilla Coconut Milk from Whole Foods, but any coconut milk should work. You can even use the light canned coconut milk; however, I wouldn't suggest full fat if you are trying to watch your caloric intake.