Healthy breakfast burritos stuffed with sweet potatoes, black beans, egg whites, and avocado. You’re going to love this protein-packed breakfast!
When I was younger, my mom used to make me the best burritos. All she did was place refried beans, cheese, and hot sauce inside of a wheat tortilla. She’d warm them up until the cheese was perfectly melted, warm and gooey. The creamy texture of the refried beans with the melty cheese was always my favorite kind of comfort food; so simple, yet so dang good. We’d happily enjoy our giant burritos together on the couch while watching movies.
I remember noticing she would always eat her burritos with avocado slices that were sprinkled with salt and pepper. Sure enough, it didn’t take me long to get hooked on that. The creaminess of the avocado mixed with cheese and beans? Well, it was perfection.
Those memories came back to me, and I decided to make these. A simple, healthy twist on an old favorite made especially for the mornings. They’re packed with protein, super delicious, and will certainly keep you energized through the morning.
These breakfast burritos happen to include most of my favorite things:
Sweet potatoes. I eat them almost everyday so here’s another way to get their deliciously sweet flavor in.
Black beans. Name a better bean. Oh wait, you probably can’t.
Avocados! Creamy. Full of healthy fats. Just heavenly.
Eggs. Gotta get that protein in. I used egg whites in this recipe but you do your thing!
Enchilada sauce. Drizzle it on baby.
Cheese. Just a little bit of ooey-gooeyness. We need the melt, yo.
Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas. I always use La Tortilla Factory but regular whole wheat tortillas will also work great.
I usually make the entire recipe, wrap each individually in plastic wrap, then put them in the freezer. The breakfast burritos are simple to reheat in the microwave and great for busy mornings or even those nights when you don’t want to make dinner. That happens to me a lot. Especially if I’m working out in the evenings.
Try dipping them in a little greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream for an extra creamy bite. Hot sauce also does wonders to jazz these up even more. Either way, you’ll fall in love!
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 1 burrito
- Calories: 297
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 46.2g
- Sugar: 5.4g
- Fiber: 20g
- Protein: 20g
- 6 low carb whole wheat tortillas
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- few dashes of red pepper flakes, if desired
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded mexican or colby jack cheese
- 1/3 cup red enchilada sauce
- Cook sweet potatoes: Pierce sweet potatoes with fork a few times. Place in microwave and microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until cooked though. This may take up to 10 minutes depending on how thick your sweet potatoes are. Alternatively you can roast them in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Once sweet potatoes are cooked, remove the skins and place potatoes in a medium bowl. Mash with a fork; set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, add black beans, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes if desired. Stir to combine then set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat egg whites together. Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-low heat. Add in egg whites and cook. Fold every few minutes to get fluffy eggs. Once cooked, remove from heat.
- To assemble burritos, make sure you have warm tortillas; it makes them easier to roll. You can warm them up for 10-20 seconds in the microwave before assembling. Lay out warm tortillas and evenly distribute and spread mashed sweet potato on each. Evenly distribute egg whites, diced avocado, black beans, and shredded cheese on each tortilla. Next drizzle about tablespoon of enchilada sauce in each. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Tuck ends in, then roll up burritos. To warm up: Place on baking sheet in oven at 300 degrees for 5-10 minutes or simply microwave them for a minute or two. Serve with sour cream, greek yogurt, salsa, or hot sauce. Makes 6 burritos.
These burritos are freezer-friendly. Simply wrap in plastic wrap, then in foil and place in freezer. To reheat, remove foil and plastic wrap and microwave until warmed, about 2-3 minutes.