If there’s one thing I learned about myself during my health and fitness journey, it’s that I absolutely must have snacks (like these peanut butter energy bites) available or I become an out of control raging hypoglycemia animal. Think Tom Cruise mixed with a wolverine. Very scary stuff.
Ever since I’ve been little, my blood sugar has always been on a rigid 3-hour dive schedule. As in, I’m the type of person who has to have something to eat every few hours or I’ll crash. My mom says that when she brought me somewhere, she always had to make sure that she had food with her otherwise I’d ruin the day and throw a fit. Terrible, right?
But it’s true! When I get hungry, I cannot think, make decisions or even pretend to be in a good mood. I’ve seen the doctor a few times about it and apparently that’s just the way my body is. Wacky.
Of course, it I’m working from home it’s pretty easy to grab snacks, but a few times I’ve been in situations where I was far from both home and food (especially when traveling). To avoid a meltdown into hunger oblivion, I started creating my own little energy bites and trail mixes to bring with me anywhere I went. Not only are they a life saver, but they also help me make better food choices (instead of reaching for junk food).
These wonderful energy bites are my latest creation and loaded with some of my favorite things: peanut butter, coconut, flaxseed, chia seed and even a little chocolate. I’ve also made them with almond butter, but everyone knows peanut butter reigns king on Ambitious Kitchen.
Watch me make the energy bites here:
Anyway, I highly recommend whipping up a batch of these. They take 5 minutes tops and you have yourself a nutritious, homemade snack with healthy fats, omega-3 (thanks to chia + flax) and 5g protein per serving!
Bonus points: They’re freezer friendly. YAS.
If you make these, be sure to leave a comment below or tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creations! LUH you. xo.
- Serves: 12 balls
- Serving size: 1 ball (based on 14)
- Calories: 150
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 12.6g
- Sugar: 6.7g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 6.1g
- 1/2 cup natural drippy peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/4 cup coconut palm syrup (honey also works)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup protein powder of choice*
- 1/3 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten free, if desired)
- 1 tablespoons mini chocolate chips (vegan, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- In a large bowl, mix together peanut butter, coconut palm syrup and vanilla extract until well combined. Add in protein powder, coconut, flaxseed meal, oats, chocolate chips and chia seeds. Mix until well combined. I usually have to use my hands to mix and work with the dough. At this point you should be able to form balls that stick together. Because all peanut butter/nut butter consistencies are different and depending on what protein powder you use, you may need to add in more nut butter or sweetener to help the balls stick together.
- Form into 12 balls and place in an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week, or the freezer for a month. Enjoy!
For the nut butter: I used an all-natural drippy peanut butter with only peanuts and salt. The natural kind with no additives is best for this recipe.
This recipe can be made nut free by using sunflower seed butter and nut free chocolate chips.
Recipe inspired from my wonderful friends over at Aloha \\ Photography by: Sarah Fennel