My Grandma told my Grandpa when she was in 6th grade that she was going to marry him. Now they’ve been married for almost 60 years. How incredible is that?
I’m visiting them in New Mexico right now. The tumbleweeds are just as common as the Walmarts here. Definitely not tropical.
I have been laughing non-stop since I got here though. For instance, my 76 year old Grandma does Zumba. I witnessed it today. Certainly was a sight.
Whatever she is doing though, it works. She woke up at 7am, did Zumba, and made me authentic Spanish rice. Not many Grandmas pump it out to hip hop these days. She puts spice into each day with her active lifestyle.
Thanks Grandma for being so sassy. You inspire me to keep grooving.
But now, back to you.
Let’s get YOU groovy. Like healthy delicious groovy.
The Food Network is teaming up with fellow food bloggers to host a Brown-Bag Challenge, a month-long initiative to eat consciously and save money by packing a lunch each weekday instead of eating out. Share what you’re eating on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtag #brownbag.
It’s easy and the Food Network has some great resources to help you stay on track including recipes, nutrition advice and a lot more!
I’ve thought 3 reasons why you should do this:
1. You can lose weight before all of the holidays and be really ridiculously good looking while you pile turkey in your mouth at Thanksgiving. People will wonder how you do it.
2. If you’re single, you can attract a potential boy/girl with really delicious food that you will learn how to cook. If you’re attached, you can cook these meals together and both save money for a lovely evening of champagne poppin.
3. You can save about five dollars a day. That’s 100 a month. That’s a massage. Or clothes. Or some really expensive bubbly. Cha Ching.
Please excuse all the alcohol references, clearly I’m craving wine right now.
Don’t you love a good challenge?
I knew you would.
Alright, time to get your dancing shoes on and play that salsa music, because I made a healthy little Mexican dish to knock your socks off!
Maybe even some pounds too…
Easy & Healthy Mexican Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can of corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) fire roasted diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 pound cooked shredded chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or Hot salsa (optional)
Place a soup pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Add onions, red pepper, garlic, jalapenos and cook until just tender.
Next add chicken broth, tomatoes and cook about 10 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Add cooked chicken, corn, black beans, cumin, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder and oregano. Add salt to taste and Tabasco sauce or salsa if you’d like it spicer.
Cover and simmer on low for about 20 minutes stirring every so often.
- Serve with baked tortilla chips. Garnish with avocado, cilantro, low fat cheese, or low fat sour cream if desired.
- Makes about 6 servings.