Old episodes of Felicity are playing as I write this post. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, then disregard, but if you love Felicity, I have to know — are you Team Ben or Team Noel?!
I will forever love Ben and believe these blueberry turkey sausage breakfast patties are just as dreamy as he is.
I really wanted to make you a meal prep breakfast recipe that wasn’t made with eggs or oatmeal. Since I’m a huge fan of restaurant-style breakfast sausage, I decided to make you a delicious healthy version of sausage patties with juicy blueberries and a hint of sweet maple syrup.
How to make turkey sausage moist?
You may be wondering how to keep these turkey sausage patties from drying out upon cooking, and I’ve got answers! First of all, it’s critical to use a 93% lean ground turkey. If you use too lean of turkey meat, the patties will end up tasting dry. A little fat adds flavor and moisture.
Are turkey sausage patties healthy?
The short answer, yes! Compared to their pork sausage counterpart, these homemade turkey sausage patties are much leaner, less in fat and calories than the traditional pork version. They also have incredible flavor, are freezer-friendly and cook up in less than 10 minutes.
Ingredients in these turkey sausage patties
These turkey sausage breakfast patties are made with lean ground turkey (or you can use ground chicken), a touch of maple syrup, fresh sage, thyme, ginger, cumin, allspice, cayenne and delicious, juicy blueberries. Simple ingredients!
Personally, I love to serve them with a drizzle of maple syrup, fried eggs and my delicious crispy roasted breakfast potatoes. YUM.
More low carb breakfast recipes:
See how to make turkey sausage breakfast patties:
Maple Blueberry Turkey Sausage Breakfast Patties
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey (do not use extra lean)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage (about 4 medium sage leaves)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or olive oil (for cooking)
- Place all ingredients besides the blueberries and oil in a large bowl and use your hands to mix until well combined. Add in blueberries and gently incorporate them into the meat. Form into 8 even sized patties, about 1/3 inch thick. Make sure the blueberries are tucked into the meat or they may pop out upon cooking.
- Add 1 teaspoon coconut oil to a nonstick skillet and place over medium heat. Add turkey patties and cook for about 5 minutes then flip and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until fully cooked.
- To prepare a plate, pair two breakfast patties with 2 fried eggs. Drizzle sausage patties with just a tiny bit of maple syrup and enjoy! Serves 4, 2 patties each.
Leftover turkey patties can be frozen, just place in a freezer safe container and reheat when needed.