DAMN it took me a long time to perfect this bread.
I literally tested this recipe 8 times with various amounts of grain free flours, sweeteners, lemon juice, coconut oil (or no coconut oil), etc. Recipe testing isn’t always as easy as it looks. Often, it’s time consuming and often times frustrating. Yet I can’t complain, I love what I do and when recipes like this finally turn out beautifully, it becomes completely worth it.
Spring always reminds me of lemon things. Because of the amount of requests I get for things made with almond and/or coconut flour, I decided to make a PALEO/GRAIN FREE/GLUTEN FREE/DAIRY FREE lemon blueberry bread for all of you.
This healthy lemon blueberry bread is light, perfectly sweet and ready for your oven. If you want you could add a tablespoon or two of poppyseeds to make it a lemon poppyseed loaf.
Oh and we can’t forget about the glaze. It’s a mix of coconut milk (or you can use coconut butter!), berry jam, lemon zest and lemon juice. It’s SO easy, yummy and PRETTY. If you want your bread extra cute, just add some crushed freeze dried raspberries and call it a day.
Ingredients in this paleo lemon blueberry bread
While this healthy lemon blueberry bread might look fancy, it’s made with simple ingredients that keep it grain free, gluten free, dairy free and paleo. Triple win! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Almond flour & coconut flour: this combination of flours keeps this healthy lemon blueberry bread gluten and grain free while adding healthy fats and a slight sweetness to the bread itself.
- Baking soda & salt: because we’re baking bread here kids.
- Eggs: to help bind the bread together and create the right consistency
- Maple syrup: for a natural sweetness in the loaf
- Lemon juice & zest: to give it that amazing, tangy, spring flavor. Remember to zest your lemon first before juicing it!
- Fresh blueberries: for a juicy burst of flavor in every bite. Feel free to use raspberries instead.
- Coconut milk: you’ll just use the top, solid part of the can of coconut milk to create the creamy glaze
- Raspberry jam: this gives the glaze a beautiful pink color and delicious sweetness
- Lemon juice & zest: for a lovely lemon flavor in the glaze
You’ll love how easy this healthy lemon blueberry bread is to mix together. It’s delicious with and without the glaze, but I personally love the slight sweetness (and gorgeous color) that the glaze adds!
How to make this healthy lemon blueberry bread
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a 8×4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mix your dry ingredient in a bowl: almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate, large bowl, whisk your wet ingredients: eggs, maple syrup, lemon juice & zest.
- Pour your dry ingredient into your wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Gently fold in your blueberries.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Allow the loaf to cool completely in the pan before removing it so that it doesn’t fall apart.
- Once the healthy lemon blueberry bread is cooled completely, make your glaze: place a small pot over low heat and add coconut milk, lemon juice, jam and lemon zest. Stir constantly until ingredients are well-combined. Drizzle glaze on top and garnish with zest from 1 lemon. Cut into 8 slices and enjoy!
How to store paleo lemon blueberry bread
This healthy lemon blueberry bread should be kept well-covered in foil or plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 3 days, then I recommend transferring to the fridge or freezer.
How to freeze paleo lemon blueberry bread
This gluten free lemon blueberry bread freezes well! Simply wrap in plastic, then tightly in foil and finally place in a reusable bag or freezer friendly bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature once you are ready to eat. You can also feel free to freeze individual slices for a quick on the go treat. I’d recommend leaving the glaze off while freezing and adding it once you’re thawed the bread and are ready to eat.
If you like this recipe, you might also like:
Hope you love this lemon blueberry bread as much as my husband does. And if you do love it, then don’t forget to try my orange-kissed paleo loaf with dark chocolate. If you make it, I’d love for you to leave a comment & rating to let me know how you liked it! xo
Paleo Lemon Blueberry Bread
Paleo lemon blueberry bread made with a mix of almond and coconut flour to keep it grain and gluten free, and is bursting with juicy blueberries and fresh lemon zest in every bite. Drizzle this healthy lemon blueberry bread with a creamy pink glaze made with your favorite berry jam for a delicious spring treat!
- Dry ingredients
- 1 1/3 cups fine blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Wet ingredients
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries (or raspberries!)
- For the glaze
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk from the can, just the top, solid part
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon seedless raspberry jam
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- For garnish
- Zest of 1 lemon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper or spray pan generously with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt.
In a separate large bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients: eggs, maple syrup, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well to combine. Lastly, fold in blueberries.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and spread out evenly. Bake for 40-50 minutes until tester comes out clean. Allow loaf to cool completely in the pan before removing.
Once loaf is cooled completely, make your glaze: Place a small pot over low heat and add coconut milk, lemon juice, jam and lemon zest. Stir constantly until ingredients are well-combined. Drizzle glaze on top and garnish with zest from 1 lemon. Cut into 8 slices and enjoy!