Gorgeous summer strawberry spinach salad topped with avocado, feta, red onion, toasted almonds, pistachios and drizzled with a flavorful strawberry balsamic vinaigrette. The best strawberry salad recipe!
If you’re from the midwest, you know that summer is a cherished time. We wait all year for the temps to hit 70, and then enjoy all the patios for happy hour. Oh and don’t forget all the potlucks and parties where eat a ton of coleslaw, weird potato salads and if we’re lucky, some deliciously sweet lemon bars.
One of my absolute FAVORITE healthy salads to make during the summer is this strawberry spinach salad. It was one of the first salads that my husband Tony ate without ranch dressing and actually LOVED! Now each time we grill up burgers or chicken sausages, I always make sure to have these strawberry spinach salad ingredients on hand so I can whip up our very favorite.
Ingredients in strawberry spinach salad
This strawberry salad is packed with spinach, juicy strawberries, creamy avocado, tangy feta, roasted pistachios, toasted sliced almonds and an easy homemade strawberry balsamic vinaigrette (or feel free to try my yummy tangy and sweet raspberry balsamic vinaigrette!).
Lastly, my preference is to use organic spinach and organic strawberries because I think they pack more flavor and nutrients, but the choice is always yours.
Tips for making this healthy strawberry spinach salad:
Use firm avocados: firmer avocados are best in this salad because they’ll keep their shape.
Mix and match nuts: the roasted pistachios and toasted almonds bring two different distinct nutty flavors to this spinach salad, which I appreciate, but if you prefer you can always sub toasted walnuts, pecans or even candied pecans! The options are endless.
Use a different fruit: if strawberries aren’t available, try blueberries, peaches, raspberries or blackberries. They’ll all be delicious.
Make your own DIY fruity balsamic vinaigrette: I’m in love with this dressing because you can use any fruit jam you like to really make it your own. Try raspberry, strawberry, blackberry or something else for a fun twist!
What to pair this strawberry salad with
See how to make the strawberry spinach salad:
Shop this post:
More delicious salad recipes to try:
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 340
- Fat: 28.7g
- Saturated fat: 6.0g
- Carbohydrates: 17.2g
- Sugar: 5.4g
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Protein: 8.5g
- For the salad:
- 1 package (5 ounces) organic spinach
- 8 ounces strawberries, halved (about 2 cups halved strawberries)
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup feta crumbles
- ⅓ cup raw sliced almonds
- ¼ cup chopped shelled roasted pistachios
- For the balsamic strawberry vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon strawberry jam
- Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- In a mason jar or small bowl, add all of the dressing ingredients. Shake or mix well to combine. Taste and add additional salt/pepper, if necessary.
- Toast the almonds on the stovetop: add the almonds to a pan and place over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 2-5 minutes until almonds are slightly golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add spinach to a large bowl, layer on the strawberries, avocado slices, red onion, feta, toasted almonds, and chopped pistachios. Add to bowls and serve with extra toasted almonds. Serves 4.
Use a different fruit: if strawberries aren't available, try blueberries, peaches, raspberries or blackberries. They'll all be delicious.
Make your own DIY fruity balsamic vinaigrette: I'm in love with this dressing because you can use any fruit jam you like to really make it your own. Try raspberry, strawberry, blackberry or something else for a fun twist.
Pin this avocado strawberry spinach salad: