Summer Strawberry Spinach Salad with Avocado
Gorgeous summer strawberry spinach salad topped with avocado, feta, red onion, toasted almonds, pistachios and drizzled with a flavorful strawberry balsamic vinaigrette. The best ever strawberry salad recipe that’s sweet, tangy, crunchy, creamy and the perfect lunch or easy side dish!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
One of my absolute FAVORITE healthy salads to make during the summer is this strawberry spinach salad. It was one of the first salads that my husband Tony ate without ranch dressing and actually LOVED! Now each time we grill up burgers or chicken sausages, I always make sure to have these strawberry spinach salad ingredients on hand so I can whip up our very favorite.
Ingredients in this strawberry spinach salad
This best ever strawberry spinach salad is packed with fresh ingredients to keep it bright, flavorful, healthy and fun to eat. You’ll need:
- Spinach: there’s something about strawberries and spinach together in this salad that just makes sense. Feel free to do half arugula and half spinach for a little more zing if you’d like!
- Fresh strawberries: grab a case of super juicy, ripe strawberries to add natural sweetness to this salad.
- Avocado: you’ll love the creaminess that avocado adds to every bite. I’d recommend choosing an avocado that isn’t too ripe so that it’s easier to cut and add to your salad. It should have just the tiniest bit of squeeze.
- Feta: the creamy, salty flavor feta gives to the salad is out of this world. You can also use goat cheese for a little more tang, or even gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbles.
- Red onion: for a little zing to go with the creamy feta and sweet strawberries. If you’re sensitive to the onion flavor, simply soak the slices in water beforehand or omit from your salad.
- Roasted pistachios: for the perfect, nutty crunch. Or just use more almonds!
- Toasted sliced almonds: the texture of sliced almonds pairs perfectly well in addition to the pistachios.
- Homemade strawberry balsamic vinaigrette: a super easy dressing made with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, dijon mustard, strawberry jam, salt & pepper (or feel free to try my yummy tangy and sweet raspberry balsamic vinaigrette!).
Lastly, my preference is to use organic spinach and organic strawberries because I think they pack more flavor and nutrients, but the choice is always yours.
Looking for a protein boost?
This strawberry salad recipe is delicious on its own or with your favorite proteins. Here’s what I suggest:
- 1 cup of chickpeas or cooked quinoa to keep it vegetarian
- Grilled chicken (use the strawberry balsamic vinaigrette as a marinade!)
- Grilled salmon
How to toast almonds
You can easily toast your own almonds right at home, and there are two ways to do it: on the stovetop or in the oven!
- Stovetop method: Add sliced almonds to a pan and place over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 2-5 minutes until almonds are slightly golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool before adding them to the salad.
- Oven method: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place sliced almonds on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until fragrant and golden brown, stirring once halfway through baking. Watch carefully so that nuts do not burn!
Tips for making the best strawberry spinach salad
- Use firm avocados: firmer avocados are best in this salad because they’ll keep their shape. Check out exactly how to cut an avocado safely here!
- Mix and match nuts: the roasted pistachios and toasted almonds bring two different distinct nutty flavors and crunch to this spinach salad, which I appreciate, but if you prefer you can always sub toasted walnuts, pecans or even candied pecans! The options are endless.
- Use a different fruit: if strawberries aren’t available, try blueberries, peaches, raspberries or blackberries. They’ll all be delicious.
- Make your own DIY fruity balsamic vinaigrette: I’m in love with this dressing because you can use any fruit jam you like to really make it your own. Try raspberry, strawberry, blackberry or something else for a fun twist!
What to pair this strawberry salad with
The options are truly endless when pairing this amazing strawberry salad. It’s the perfect side for parties, potlucks or simple summer dinners. I recommend:
- Grilled chicken (try these healthy chicken marinades)
- Black bean burgers
- Or even homemade grilled pizza!
It’s also perfect with cooked quinoa, barley, farro or couscous mixed in.
Make it ahead of time
Feel free to prepare all of the ingredients for the strawberry spinach salad ahead of time, but save the dressing until you’re ready to enjoy. Spinach can tend to soak up a lot of moisture, so it’s best to enjoy the dressed salad the day-of or one day later.
The avocado should stay fresh for a couple of days with help from the acidity from the balsamic. You can also add a squeeze of lemon juice if you plan on storing the strawberry spinach salad before dressing and serving it.
How to store this strawberry spinach salad
Store this strawberry spinach salad in an airtight container in the fridge, without the dressing, for up to 4-5 days. The dressing will stay good in a container in the fridge for up to one week as well.
More delicious salads to try
- Vegan Caesar Pasta Salad
- Cashew Crunch Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
- California Roasted Sweet Potato Kale Salad
- Italian Chopped Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Avocado Peach Tomato Salad with Dilly Tahini Dressing
Get all of our amazing salad recipes here!
If you make this summer strawberry spinach salad recipe, be sure to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram. We’d also love if you would leave a comment below and rate the recipe. We appreciate you! xo.
Summer Strawberry Spinach Salad with Avocado
Gorgeous summer strawberry spinach salad topped with avocado, feta, red onion, toasted almonds, pistachios and drizzled with a flavorful strawberry balsamic vinaigrette. The best ever strawberry salad recipe that's sweet, tangy, crunchy, creamy and the perfect lunch or easy side dish!
- For the salad:
- 1 package (5 ounces) organic spinach
- 8 ounces strawberries, halved (about 2 cups halved strawberries)
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup feta crumbles
- ⅓ cup raw sliced almonds
- ¼ cup chopped shelled roasted pistachios
- For the balsamic strawberry vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated or finely minced
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon strawberry jam (or jam of choice)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
In a mason jar or small bowl, add all of the dressing ingredients. Shake or mix well to combine. Taste and add additional salt/pepper, if necessary.
Toast the almonds on the stovetop: add the almonds to a pan and place over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 2-5 minutes until almonds are slightly golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Add spinach to a large bowl, layer on the strawberries, avocado slices, red onion, feta, toasted almonds, and chopped pistachios. Feel free to add dressing now or set it out for individual servings. Top salad bowls with extra toasted almonds and drizzle each bowl with 1/4 of the dressing. Serves 4.
This salad is best enjoyed the same day you make it to keep things nice and fresh, but will also be delicious the next day too.
Use a different fruit: if strawberries aren't available, try blueberries, peaches, raspberries or blackberries. They'll all be delicious.
Make your own DIY fruity balsamic vinaigrette: I'm in love with this dressing because you can use any fruit jam you like to really make it your own. Try raspberry, strawberry, blackberry or something else for a fun twist.
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Join the AK email list and get my brand new, FREE Simple & Nourishing 7-day Meal Plan delivered to your inbox.