My favorite way to eat food this summer is in the form of grilling. Also known as the easiest way to make a delicious meal.
Here’s something I learned recently: Did you know that you can place a can of baked beans right on the grill? Tony taught me this trick and I was thoroughly impressed. All you have to do is open the can, remove the label, then place on the grill until bubbly hot. Easy and no pans required!
Now that you’ve got that trick under your belt you have to time to whip up some of these sweet and spicy turkey burgers.
My love for burgers has certainly grown the past few years, mainly due to Tony’s meat infatuation. I rarely eat beef or pork so making an all turkey burger is usually what I do on the nights we grill. Why? It’s leaner and I LOVE the flavor.
Now I know everyone always complains that turkey burgers aren’t juicy or delicious as beef, but can you guys just trust me when I say that isn’t true when it comes to these burgs? I mean, spicy bbq sauce and pepper jack cheese with a little sweet pineapple and salty turkey bacon.
Mmmmm hmmm Burger King wishes they could sell these.
What to serve with these hawaiian turkey burgers:
I love serving these burgers in lettuce wraps or whole grain buns/sandwich thins with a side of sweet potato fries. It’s a delicious weekend meal and so much better than any fast food drive thru (obviously!).
If you make this or any recipe from AK, be sure to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram or upload a photo to my Facebook page! xoxo.
More healthy burger recipes to try:
Sweet & Spicy BBQ Bacon Hawaiian Turkey Burgers
Flavorful and juicy, these lightened up Hawaiian turkey burgers are packed with AMAZING flavor thanks to turkey bacon, spicy bbq sauce, pepper jack cheese and grilled pineapple. Best turkey burgers EVER!
- 5 slices turkey bacon
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast (at least 93% lean) or can use 99%
- 3 tablespoons BBQ sauce (aim for low sugar)
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more if you like spicier
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 4 fresh pineapple slices, ½ inch thick
- 4 slices of pepper jack cheese
- FOR SERVING:
- 4 whole grain or gluten free hamburger buns
- Toppings: Sliced onions, extra bbq sauce
- Cook turkey bacon according to directions on the package. Once crispy and fully cooked, transfer to a paper towel and pat dry. Allow a few minutes to cool, then coarsely chop the bacon and set aside.
- Make the turkey burgers by adding the ground turkey, chopped turkey bacon, bbq sauce, onion, garlic, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to a medium bowl. Mix with your hands until evenly combined. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into ¾ inch patties.
- Grill over medium-hot heat for 5-8 minutes per side or until burgers are cooked through and a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F. While the burgers are cooking, grill the pineapple slices until browned, turning once; During the last few minutes of cooking the burgers, add a slice of cheese on top of each burger; cover the grill for about 1 minute while the cheese melts.
- Place the burgers on buns, top with grilled pineapple slices, drizzle with extra bbq sauce and top with onions. Serve immediately. Great with sweet potato fries or fresh fruit!
Nutritional information is based on using 99% lean ground turkey breast and includes everything except the bun and any toppings you'd like for serving.
You can also cook these burgers indoors by broiling them in the oven about 3 inches from the top; broil 5-7 minutes on each side.
Burgers can be frozen for up to 3 months; fully cook burgers, allow them to cool completely, wrap in plastic wrap then place in airtight containers or freezer friendly ziploc bags.