My brain is addicted to breakfast. For lunch and dinner. In fact, I could have it at every meal for the rest of my life and be completely content.
In my opinion, there really is nothing that beats an egg sandwich — specifically this egg sandwich. And although it’s as simple as it appears, it truly is the best you will ever have.
Let me put it this way: Eggs + Avocado + Bacon + Tomato + a little heat all on top of thick grainy toast = OMG! It makes me want to cry every time I eat it, in a good way of course. Tears of pure happiness. This egg sandwich will probably be the best party your taste buds will ever experience.
Okay I’ll stop with the dramatic descriptions. This open-faced sandwich just makes me happy. And I want to share the recipe with you!
I make this sandwich open-faced because I enjoy eating it with a fork and knife and soaking up the incredible runny yolk. I like switching up my toppings too!
The following are my go-tos:
- 1/2 a ripe avocado, sliced or mashed
- ripe, sliced tomatoes
- red pepper flakes
- 1 egg, usually fried over easy, sometimes poached
- crispy bacon — I use turkey bacon
- good multi-grain bread for toasting — the thicker the better!
- pepper jack, havarti, or goat cheese — I like mixing it up
- good quality hot sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Other favorites I’ve added:
- spinach, arugula, or kale — more good-for-you greens!
- green chile
- tomatillo salsa
- basil or cilantro — for that fresh taste!
- red or green onion
- chicken sausage, thinly sliced
- tri-colored peppers, sauteed
- jalapenos — if you like it hot!