Dark Chocolate, Raspberry, and Brie Grilled Cheese
How was your weekend?
Of course… mine was delicious! I took the day off Friday to spend time with my mom; we had a fun lunch at Panera and got pedis. Then I spent the better part of the afternoon getting organized in preparation for a move. I have come to the conclusion that will never like packing things or getting rid of clothes.
On Saturday I had a fun date night at Borough in Minneapolis (more to come on that another time).
Yesterday was Mother’s Day; my family celebrated with a light brunch and they also forced me to make my best apple crisp. Afterwards I got in a beautiful 6 mile run, then dabbled in the kitchen a bit with some cooking. Some days there’s nothing better than doing exactly what your passionate about, you know? Grocery store runs, organizing my recipes, and photographing the end result always makes me feel a bit accomplished.
But combining beloved chocolate and bread? That’s also an accomplishment in my mind.
Then again, I have a pretty weird brain.
Grilled cheese is major. So major that the entire month of April was National Grilled Cheese month. And it’s May now. Once again, I fail at following the crowd.
I will admit that I kind of LOVED this sandwich! And that surprised me, because I have never been one of those folks who was obsessed with grilled cheese growing up. I totally understand that it’s a comfort food, but I always preferred mac and cheese. Or a bowl of Cheerios. (Seriously, WHY IS CEREAL SO GOOD?)
This grilled cheese has unexpected flavors, and perhaps that’s why it’s so completely incredible. Sweet, tart raspberries paired with creamy brie and dark chocolate sandwiched between hearty multigrain bread. It’s like taking a big bite of heaven.
Who could resist?
Let me put it this way: This isn’t your average grilled cheese. It’s the grilled cheese you serve at a party. Or the grilled cheese you make for your boyfriend. It’s wild and crazy in a really good way.
Oh and if you dare… try replacing the dark chocolate with nutella and a sprinkle of sea salt. Perfection.
- 4 thick slices of multigrain baguette
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces Brie Cheese
- 2 ounces your favorite good-quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- ½ cup smashed raspberries (about ¼ pint)
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Slice the brie and spread on unbuttered sides of the bread. Add smashed raspberries and broken pieces of chocolate, top with remaining slices of buttered bread.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add in sandwiches. Cover with a lid and cook about 5 minutes, or until golden brown on bottom.
- Carefully flip sandwich, reduce heat to medium and cook a few more minutes or until the chocolate and cheese have melted and bread is golden brown. Enjoy sandwiches immediately!