Have you ever had a recipe that has called for buttermilk (like pancakes or waffles), but you didn’t have it in your fridge? Well today I’m showing you the easiest way to make homemade buttermilk right at home. And guess what? All you need are two ingredients.
Bonus: You can absolutely make dairy-free/vegan buttermilk. Let’s do this!
Watch this easy how-to video I created with Gold Medal Flour to show you how to make Homemade Buttermilk (text instructions are below)!
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1 cup of milk of choice
- Step 1:Pour 1 cup of milk into a bowl.
- Step 2: Grab one small fresh lemon or white vinegar. Stir in a tablespoon or two of lemon juice OR vinegar into the bowl with the milk. Stir to combine. Let sit for 5 minutes until the milk begins to curdle and becomes acidic.
- Step 3: Use in place of buttermilk in the recipe as it calls for. Enjoy!
My favorite recipes using buttermilk:
- My Buttermilk Greek Yogurt Pancakes
- My Grandma’s Buttermilk Waffles
- Jessica’s Buttermilk Almond Crusted Chicken Fingers
- Tessa’s Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
- Alton Brown’s Steel Cut Oatmeal with Buttermilk