Home About Me Contact Recipe Index

RSS FeedTwitterFacebookEmail

Blog Archives

Categories

Slow Cooked Spicy Caribbean Black Bean Soup

Do you ever have those days where you want to do absolutely nothing, yet you have a to-do list that you can’t wrap your brain around?

That’s me right now.  Stuck in a moment of laziness slash relaxation.

It feels good to stop the noise for a moment and let my brain actually think.  Happy thoughts of soup.

Tomorrow seems like a better day to get things done anyways, right?

Today is a good day for movie watching or a fall bike ride.  Even better for carving ridiculous things into pumpkins. Seriously, who started carving pumpkins anyway?

Sticking a knife in a vegetable and carving faces in it is totally random.

What would you do if I asked you to carve an apple? Not normal.

My love for soup probably isn’t normal either.  I love it more than chocolate. Chocolate Soup would be good.

If we were really good friends, you’d know soup is my favorite.  Tomato, bean, tortilla, carrot ginger – I’ll take them all!

I’d probably always order soup and a salad at dinner with you. And a skinny margarita.

But if we were just hanging, I’d make some sexy homemade soup for my friends. With cuban spices, cilantro, tomatoes and garlic. You’d love it. You’d want to be BFFs.

I’m telling you crock pots are in!

Homemade soup just can’t be beat. Especially sexy soup like this!  Yes, you read that right, this soup is totally sizzling.

Comforting Spicy Caribbean Black Bean Soup. Just sounds sexy!

Warms your soul, and slims your body.  Double yes!

Make this. You’ll be hot.

Is your mouth watering yet? Don’t deny the soup love!

Slow Cooked Spicy Caribbean Black Bean Soup

1/2 teaspoon of tabasco sauce

1 bay leaf

1 tablespoon sea salt

1/2 tablespoon black pepper

6 cups of vegetable broth

2 cups of water

Rinse 16 oz. of dry black beans in a colander. Wash thoroughly.  Place the beans in a crock-pot and soak over night or for 8-10 hours.

Once beans are  done soaking, rinse  in coriander. Place beans, canned tomatoes, garlic, onion, vegetable broth, water salt, pepper,  cumin, cayenne, tabasco sauce, bay leaf and jalapenos in crock pot. Mix well. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.

After 4 hours, uncover and add in carrots, cilantro and yellow, red and orange peppers.  Put crock-pot on low and cook another 2 hours.

Taste to see if you like the flavor.  Add more salt, pepper, and seasoning if necessary.

Garnish with fresh cilantro, sour cream, and crumbled cheese.

Serves 8

21 Responses to Slow Cooked Spicy Caribbean Black Bean Soup

• Marykay H. says:

Thanks so much for creating and sharing this recipe. I am always looking for new pumpkin recipes to try. Although I have to adapt just about all of them to high elevations, each one is a treat. This recipe was not difficult to change for me. I added one egg and 1/4 cup cornstarch to the basic part of the recipe and it all fell together nicely. :) Thank you again. OH, I am at 7300 ft.

• Monique says:

Marykay- I’m so happy to hear that you were able to adapt the recipe. I just checked out your cafe on Facebook- looks great, especially your menu with Hatch green chilies. My grandparents live in New Mexico, so I’m very fond of authentic food. :)

• Kristy says:

This was AMAZING! Loved it!

• Just made your soup this weekend and followed the directions to a tee (which I don’t normally do; I usually improvise in some way). It was delicious! Spicier than I expected, but not too much. Perfect for our sick-with-colds household this chilly January weekend. I made it with a home made cornbread and some salad. Fantastic. Pinned and saved!

• Tricia says:

Do you think there’s any way I can adapt this to use canned black beans? I have quite a few cans on hand that I’d love to use up!

• gloria says:

Can’t wait to give this a try…but what does “rinse in coriander” mean? I don’t see coriander on the list of ingredients and I’ve never heard that instruction before. THANKS!!

• Wendy says:

This went over well with my crowd…although my son said to add chili powder and I really like curry so we added those and frozen organic corn. Yum! I love that this uses dried beans. I try to always cook beans from the dried state. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

• Danielle says:

Looking forward to making this! Quick question..are the red, yellow, and orange peppers just bell peppers or are they hot peppers?

• Danielle says:

Ok one more question! I made this soup last night and although it tasted delicious, it looked nothing like yours. It was very watery and I even used less broth/water. Not thick like yours at all. I used canned black beans. Maybe I shouldn’t have drained and rinsed them?

• Monique says:

Hi Danielle — it’s because you used canned beans. When the beans are soaked overnight and cooked naturally they release starches which thicken up the broth. Next time I would use dried beans. Sorry it didn’t turn out for you!

• Noelle says:

This was so good! My dad told me it tasted like he got it from a NICE restaurant and he is really hard to impress. thank you for this recipe. More soup recipes would be great!

• agroovymommy says:

Could you do the whole thing on low for 6 hours or do you have to split it up? What would happen if you added all of the veggies much earlier? Thanks!