There’s something about pizza that’s irresistible.
Who can just stop at one slice? Especially kids! Seriously, put a large pizza in front of two kids and it will be gone in approximately 5 minutes… then they’ll want cupcakes immediately after. How do they do it?! Bottomless stomachs.
I’d love to go back to that carefree world and eat a whole pizza for breakfast.
I’m being serious here.
I ate bagel bites alllll the time when I was a kid. Cute, delicious little pizza bagels is what they were. And let’s not forget about stuffed crust pizza! Too good. But please NEVER eat a pizza crust stuffed with hot dogs… that’s just disturbing.
As perfect as pizza can be, in any shape or form, I’ve never been a huge fan pepperoni; however, I made a spicy pepperoni tomato sauce, spooned it on top of skillet chicken, and topped it with mozzarella cheese. MIND BLOWING is what it is.
WHAT? The sauce is DAMN good. Quite possibly now the love of my life. No big deal though, I’ll walk you through the deliciousness so you can experience it for yourself in less than 30 minutes!
First we start with the best ingredients for the best sauce: roasted garlic pasta sauce (any type of tomato sauce would work such as marinara), fresh minced garlic, pepperoni, oregano, and fresh basil.
Saute pepperoni and fresh garlic for a few minutes. Savor the smells.
Note: I used turkey pepperoni; it tastes the same but has half the fat and calories of regular pepperoni. You can usually find it at your local grocery store.
Next, add your pasta sauce to the pan and add oregano.
Look at that steam rising!
Add red pepper flakes if you desire to make the sauce spicy, otherwise you can leave them out.
But please do add them. My motto: Spice up your food, spice up your life!
Now we add in the million dollar basil. Stir, and get a little obsessed.
Set the sauce aside. Sprinkle chicken with black pepper and cook in a skillet until golden brown and juices run clear.
Once chicken is cooked, spoon the pepperoni sauce on top. Resist the urge to just eat the sauce by the spoonful. I have no willpower sometimes.
Add cheese and place the skillet under the broiler for two minutes.
Remove and garnish fresh basil leaves, extra cheese, and/or extra red pepper flakes!
Even though I’m not a parent, I know that it can be difficult to find healthy meals that kids will enjoy. Just trust me on this: put something in front of them that tastes like pizza, and you’re golden. Using reduced-fat cheese and turkey pepperoni makes it even better for them and you!
Of course there are endless possibilities with this: Throw it on top of pasta or stuff it in a whole wheat pita (pita pizza)!
It’s a truly simple, healthy weeknight dinner that can be whipped together in a flash. I’m all about that.
Something else I’m all about? That Magic Mike movie. Drool.
Skillet Chicken with Spicy Pepperoni-Tomato Sauce
2 cloves of garlic, minced
20 slices pepperoni (I used turkey), coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups healthy tomato pasta sauce*
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenderloins
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add garlic and pepperoni; cook 2 minutes or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently. Add oregano; cook 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. Sprinkle chicken with pepper. Add chicken to skillet; cook 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned, turning after 3 minutes and cook until chicken juices run clear. Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
- *Use any pasta sauce you like, I recommend healthy low-sodium marinara sauce or a roasted garlic
- Adapted from Cooking Light
- Leave out red pepper flakes if cooking for kids, or if you don’t enjoy spicy food