Annnnddd we’re kicking zucchini week day 3 off with some bangin’ baked chicken parmesan smothered in a ridiculously delish tomato basil sauce and served over zucchini noodles! Are you down?
…OR ARE YOU DOWN?
Sorry, all caps — just really excited here.
So, this recipe came to me just in time for zucchini week. It’s actually slightly adapted my good friend Ali’s new cookbook Inspiralize Everything, which I’m currently obsessing over like a child who enjoys Dairy Queen for the first time. I can’t stop making recipes from this beautiful book and yes guys, I’m pretty sure Ali’s convinced me that you truly can spiralize just about everything.
There are so many more recipes I intend to make from the spiralized Loaded Potatoes with BBQ Sauce (hello football parties) to the California Roll Sushi Bowl (OMG it has a ginger peanut dressing). Please buy the book so you can enjoy these with me too.
Now let’s discuss this HEALTHY baked chicken parmesan, shall we?
Almond meal: The chicken is breaded with almond meal & spices instead of the traditional breadcrumbs. This not only makes it a gluten free dish, but also perfect for those wanting to enjoy a lower carb meal. The chicken also stays lovely and tender thanks to the moisture from the almond meal, yet it crisps up on the outside. Magical, right?
Zucchini Noodles: Yes, yes, yes! Have you tried zucchini noodles yet? I freaking love them. Yes, you’ll need a spiralizer to create them and I highly recommend Ali’s Inspiralizer with various blades — truly a staple kitchen appliance in my house. P.S. If you’re not into zucchini noodles, try this meal with spiralized sweet potatoes instead!
Tomato basil sauce: This sauce is one of my favorites because of the bright, zingy flavor with just a touch of sweetness thanks to fresh basil and garlic.
This baked chicken parmesan meal makes for a killer date night dinner or couple’s night in. I am OBSESSED and love that I can feel good about noshing on this better for you version.
Don’t forget to pick up a copy of Ali’s new book here!
Thanks so much for being with me here for zucchini week. Hope you are loving it — be sure to check back the rest of the week for more delicious zucchini recipes! xo!
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1 serving
- Calories: 432
- Fat: 20.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrates: 27.5g
- Sugar: 12.2g
- Fiber: 8.8g
- Protein: 36.5g
- For the bread crumbs:
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 large egg
- 4 (4oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (no salt added is best)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more if necessary
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 zucchini, spiralized and noodles trimmed (use Blade D)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Set up your dredging station. On a large plate, combine all the ingredients for the bread crumbs and stir to combine. Beat the egg in a shallow medium bowl. Set the dishes side by side. Working one piece at a time, dip the chicken first in the egg and allow the excess to drip back into the bowl. Then dip it in the bread crumbs, turning to coat and pressing to adhere. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink.
- While the chicken bakes, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add in onion, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for a few minutes or until onions begin to soften. Next add in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water, basil, dried oregano, fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Transfer half of the sauce to a medium bowl and set aside, reserving the remainder in the skillet over low heat.
- Once chicken is done cooking, remove the baking sheet from the oven and pour sauce from the bowl over the chicken. Top each piece with 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese. Return to the oven and bake for 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
- Return the skillet with the remaining sauce to medium high heat. Add the zucchini noodles and cook for about 5 minutes or until al dente. Divide the noodles among four plates. Top with chicken. Enjoy!
Recipe slightly adapted from Inspiralize Everything!