Ummm hello lovely tostadas, where have you been all my life?! This delicious recipe for chicken tostadas comes from my friend Alex’s The Defined Dish Cookbook and dang you guys — THEY ARE GOOD!
Alex is one of those bloggers you can trust when it comes to making healthier recipes; she’s talented and oozes love, soul and flavor into everything she cooks. Alex and I connected a few years ago over Instagram, eventually met in Chicago over coffee, and have been friends ever since. Her book is truly unbelievable and one that I think your family will absolutely love, especially if you’re gluten free, grain free or dairy free.
What’s the difference between a taco and a tostada?
You’re probably familiar with tacos, you know those yummy soft or hard shelled tortillas filled with proteins, veggies, cheese, rice, and pretty much anything your heart desires. A tostada is basically an open-faced version of your favorite taco toasted to crispy perfection.
Traditional tostadas are often deep-fried to achieve their crispy texture, but in this recipe we’re going to bake them for a slightly healthier option. In Spanish “tostada” simply means “toasted.”
Ingredients in chipotle chicken tostadas
I knew I had to make these delicious, healthy chicken tostadas from the moment I saw them. They’re perfect for warmer weather, use super fresh ingredients to give them lots of flavor and gorgeous color. Here’s what you need:
- For the pineapple salsa: diced pineapple, red onion, jalapeño, fresh lime juice, garlic, cilantro, salt and avocado or olive oil.
- For the chipotle chicken: ground chicken, chipotle chili powder, salt & pepper, low sodium chicken broth and tomato paste. Feel free to use turkey if you don’t have chicken.
- For assembling: regular or grain free tortillas, avocados, shredded purple cabbage and fresh cilantro.
How to bake tostadas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place your tortillas in a single layer on the baking sheet and lightly spray the tops of tortillas with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
If you like this recipe you’ll also like
I hope you love these chipotle chicken tostadas from The Defined Dish! Be sure to grab your copy of the The Defined Dish Cookbook today and get cooking.
Chipotle Chicken Tostadas with Pineapple Salsa
Delicious chipotle chicken tostadas topped with a colorful, fresh pineapple salsa. These healthy chicken tostadas are easy to make and have an incredible sweet and savory flavor from chipotle chicken, sweet pineapple, creamy avocado and a kick of heat from jalapeño. A fun and flavorful weeknight dinner!
- For the pineapple salsa
- 2 cups small diced fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeño
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil (or olive oil)
- Pinch of salt
- For the chipotle chicken
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- To assemble
- 6 (8-inch) grain free tortillas* (can use Siete tortillas)
- 2 avocados, mashed
- ½ cup shredded purple cabbage
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the pineapple salsa: in a medium bowl, toss together the pineapple, onion, jalapeño, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, avocado oil and salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 5 days.
- Make the chicken: in a large skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken, chipotle chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon until it is brown, about 7 minutes. Drain off any excess fat from the pan, if necessary.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the chicken broth and tomato paste and stir to combine. Continue to cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
- To assemble: place the tortillas in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly spray the tops of tortillas with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Carefully spread the mashed avocado on top of each crisp tortilla. Sprinkle with the shredded cabbage and a big scoop of chipotle chicken. Top with the pineapple salsa and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Recipe from The Defined Dish Cookbook.