The easiest slow cooker turkey tacos on the planet. Made with a DIY homemade taco seasoning. My go-to weeknight taco recipe!
HELLO FROM CABO! Life couldn’t be sweeter in my neck of the woods.
Wait, did I just quote Al Roker. WHO AM I.
Apparently I’m older than I think if I start quoting the weatherman from the Today show.
For real though, I am LOVING this warm weather and because of my very obsession with tacos, I’ve decided to share one of my absolute favorite weeknight taco recipes: slow cooker turkey tacos (with homemade taco seasoning).
It’s become clear to me that you all LOVE some of my easy weeknight meals: turkey chili, salmon tacos, maple glazed salmon, chickpea curry, etc. Thus, I’ve decided to put more of these go-to easy meals on the blog starting with these tacos.
I know a lot of people love beef, but I’m just not into it and haven’t been for years. Occasionally I crave a burger, but it would be very, very rare for you to find beef in our fridge. I guess that’s probably why there are zero beef recipes on the blog (sorry beef lovers!). However, I find myself constantly buying ground turkey, only because it’s much leaner, but because how lovely it absorbs flavors.
How about you: are you a beef or turkey lover?! Or maybe you’re a tofu lover? Holla.
Okay, okay but let’s talk turkey tacos for a sec, because there are a few fun facts/tips I’d love to share with you:
They’re easy. That’s right, all you have to do is brown the turkey then throw it in the slow cooker and let it simmer for a few hours. The flavors are insanely good.
They can be made for a crowd, if you’d like. You can double, triple or even quadruple this recipe. So if you’re having a party, this is a freaking awesome inexpensive meal.
Hello DIY taco bar. Use this to make your own taco bar. Just get all the fixins chopped up and let your turkey cook in the slow cooker. Then have your guests make their own tacos. It’s such party pleaser.
Homemade taco seasoning is involved. A few simple spices + tomato sauce and you’ve got awesome REAL deal taco seasoning with no JUNK.
You can make these paleo: Simply leave out the tortillas and pile the taco meat on your favorite salad.
Anyway, this recipe is a keeper. We make it 1x per week and always go back for seconds.
How to serve it: with a side of your favorite tortilla chips + my famous guacamole.
Pin the tacos here!
Enjoy! If you make this recipe, I’d love to see you tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram — otherwise leave a comment below letting me know how you liked the tacos! xo.
- Serves: 8 tacos; 2 tacos per person
- Serving size: 2 tacos with toppings
- Calories: 448
- Fat: 20.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.4g
- Carbohydrates: 38.2g
- Sugar: 6.3g
- Fiber: 8.4g
- Protein: 30g
- For the taco meat:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 pound 94% lean ground turkey (can also use 99% lean if you desire)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered (can also use 1 large tomato, diced)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- Shredded lettuce, for topping
- Sliced jalapeno, for topping
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and place over medium high heat. Add onions and turkey. Brown the turkey, and break up the meat with a wooden spoon until nice and browned. Transfer to the slow cooker and add in garlic, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
- Once ready to serve, divide meat between 8 corn tortillas. Add grape tomatoes, cheese, diced avocado, lettuce and jalapeno slices. Serves 4. Optional to serve with greek yogurt, if desired.
Photography by: Sarah Fennel