I have an endless supply of recipe ideas sitting in my drafts for you at all times. Like these peppers, who have been waiting to make their glorious appearance on Ambitious Kitchen for nearly two months.
Somedays I wish I could live in my kitchen, leaving the writing, editing, photography and all the other things behind. My happy place is recipe creation; fitting flavors and ingredients together like a puzzle. It’s my favorite part about my job. And also you all. Seeing all the recipes you make of mine makes me extraordinarily happy. I’m in awe that I get to create this life for myself, which keeps me inspired and feeling creative on a daily basis. You’re making this girl’s dream come true.
I made these peppers again last week and was reminded that I needed to put them up for you ASAP, so here they are! They’re full of italian flavor, fresh garlicky tomato basil sauce, ground turkey, creamy white beans, fiber-packed spinach, and so much more.
Lately I’ve been craving mineral-rich brown rice like you wouldn’t believe, which led me to add it to these peppers. If you’re not into brown rice or don’t have any at home, know that you could sub quinoa instead.
These are a healthy, easy yet still impressive dinner to whip up during the weekday. They make fantastic leftovers for lunch the next day and are even freezer friendly! See the note section in the recipe for more info.
Hope you love these peppers! If you make them be sure to leave a comment below to let me know how you liked them or tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram so I can see your creation! xo!
- Serves: 6 peppers
- Serving size: 1 pepper
- Calories: 334
- Fat: 8.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrates: 33.9g
- Sugar: 8.7g
- Fiber: 7.8g
- Protein: 28g
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 cups chunky tomato sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey breast
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can great northern beans
- 3 cups fresh organic spinach
- 1 cups cooked brown rice
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 medium to large green or red bell peppers
- 4 oz burrata cheese, sliced (fresh mozzarella also works)
- In a blender or food processor, add 1 1/4 cups tomato sauce, garlic cloves and basil. Blend on high 1-2 minutes until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large 10 inch skillet or frying pan over medium high heat. Add diced onions and turkey, breaking up the meat as you stir. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until turkey is cooked and no longer pink. Stir in tomato sauce from the blender, along with oregano, italian seasoning and spinach. Simmer uncovered on medium low heat for 10-15 minutes; stirring every few minutes (the spinach will break down as you cook it). After it is done cooking, stir in beans and rice. Taste, add salt and pepper and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- While the turkey and sauce is cooking you can prepare the peppers: Cut off the tops of the peppers and remove the ribs and seeds. Rinse out extra seeds and place each pepper next to each other in a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Fill each pepper with turkey mixture. Add an extra spoonful of remaining tomato sauce on top each pepper with a little burrata cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until peppers are tender. Makes 6 peppers!
Peppers can be prepped ahead and baked later, just follow instructions up to baking them in step 6. Keep them in the fridge until you're ready to bake them!
Peppers are freezer friendly; just bake them, cool and freeze for a later meal.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Photography by: Sarah Fennel
If you like this recipe, you might also like: