If you’re anything like me, then you probably have taco night at least 1x per week in your house. And if not, you should. Tacos are easy, perfect for sharing and great for entertaining.
But what happens when you want tacos but don’t have taco seasoning on hand? It’s simple: make my homemade taco seasoning. It’s easy, can be made ahead of time and keeps well in your pantry just like all your other spices.
Another thing you probably didn’t know about store-bought taco seasoning is that it often contains additives like gums and sometimes even dairy that are unnecessary. Stick to this taco seasoning for a cheap, healthy option your entire family will love.
Ingredients in homemade taco seasoning
This easy DIY taco seasoning recipe has just 6 core ingredients plus an option to make it a little spicier. Here are the spices you’ll need:
- Chili powder: this makes up the bulk of the taco seasoning to give it that classic taco flavor. Make sure you’re using a mild chili powder so that your taco seasoning isn’t overly spicy.
- Ground cumin: some cumin adds a nice, warming flavor to the taco seasoning.
- Garlic powder: gotta have that savory garlic flavor in this taco seasoning.
- Dried oregano: a bit of dried oregano adds an herby element that brings all of the flavors together.
- Paprika: for a little extra punch of flavor you’ll want to use paprika.
- Salt: to bring out all of the flavors of each spice.
- Optional: add some cayenne pepper if you like a little heat!
How to make homemade taco seasoning
You’ll simply mix together the cumin, chili powder, dried oregano, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt in a small bowl. Feel free to add the taco seasoning to mini jars to save for later!
Ways use DIY homemade taco seasoning
- On meat: add about 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning per pound of meat. I like to use it as a rub for chicken, steak and fish before cooking them.
- On veggies: season any (and all) of your favorite veggies! It’s especially delicious on roasted sweet potatoes.
- On sides: season rice, beans or quinoa, or add it to your favorite soups for delicious taco flavor.
Customize your homemade taco seasoning
- Add a smoky flavor to the seasoning by using smoked paprika instead of regular.
- Feel free to reduce the salt a bit if you’re cooking for anyone who is sensitive to salt.
- You can easily double, triple or quadruple this recipe to make lots to have on-hand.
How to store homemade taco seasoning
Store this easy homemade taco seasoning in small, airtight jars or containers. It will last for multiple years!
Try it in these recipes
Damn Good Salmon Taco Bowls For Two
Amazing Easy Turkey Tacos (with a slow cooker option!)
Jalapeño Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos with Avocado-Lime Crema
Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Tacos
I hope you love this homemade taco seasoning! If you make it be sure to leave a comment & a rating so I know how you liked it. You can also share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #ambitiouskitchen. Enjoy, xo!
Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning
Learn how to make the best homemade taco seasoning with a few simple spices! This easy homemade taco seasoning recipe has no weird additives and is perfect for seasoning meats, veggies and more. Options to keep it mild or add a kick of heat. Skip the store bought version for good!
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 ½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a small bowl mix together the cumin, chili powder, dried oregano, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. For each pound of meat you’ll need about 2-2 ½ tablespoons taco seasoning, depending on your intensity preference.
Our favorite way to cook tacos: brown 1 pound of taco meat (we love ground turkey!), sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of this seasoning, add more if you want additional flavor. Add 1/2 cup water and let taco meat simmer uncovered over medium low heat until it thickens. This should take about 10-20 minutes.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
Thanks for the recipe, You are doing a great job. I have learnt so much on ambitious kitchen and going try this one too. Hoping for good result 😀
So happy to hear that! Enjoy 🙂
Excellent seasoning blend. I used it on shrimp tacos tonight and they were delicious! My kids loved that it wasn’t too spicy.
Perfect! So happy to hear that 🙂
I just made this tonight for our tacos. I used your recommendation for the1/2 cup water added to the meat as well. The seasoning was so easy and delicious! I’m now officially done with buying the packet from Whole Foods as I’ve been doing for awhile now. Thanks Monique!
Amazing! So happy you loved it!
This is the BEST recipe I have ever found for homemade taco seasoning!!! Don’t buy the package kind again. Keep this in your spice cabinet stored in a mason jar.
Aw thanks, Jennifer! I’m so happy you love it 🙂
My recipe is: Good to bloom the spices w/ meat. Comes together quickly!
3 Tbsp. dried onions. If it’s bitter, I like to add a handful of fresh cilantro, chopped!
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder,
1 Tbsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp cumin
I also love cumin seeds
Thanks for sharing!