You know what I’m always down for? A good snack. While I don’t LOVE football season, I’m always down for snacking season. Especially during the holidays.
Today I come to you with a classic dip recipe that we’ve probably all had at one time or another. And if you haven’t had it, well then you’re in for a ridiculously good surprise because this dip is ALWAYS a crowd-pleaser. Bring it to a baby shower, your Grandma’s birthday party, football parties, the office holiday get together, BBQs or even into your bed for a late night snack. Wherever you enjoy it, it’s going to be GOOD.
What is 7-layer dip?
So, what is a seven layer dip anyway? Traditional 7 layer dip (also known as “taco dip” or “Tex-Mex dip”) is a Tex-Mex inspired appetizer with different “layers” like sour cream, refried beans, cheese, guacamole, etc.
Basically just layers of deliciousness served with chips for dipping. You know, the good things in life.
Ingredients in this healthy 7-layer dip recipe
We’re making a healthier version of traditional 7-layer dip by using protein-packed yogurt instead of sour cream and lightening up some of the other layers (without sacrificing taste). Here are the layers & ingredients you’ll need:
- Refried bean layer: I love refried black beans and bonus…you get a gold star if they’re vegetarian! Traditional refried beans often contain animal products, so check your label if you are vegetarian.
- Taco layer: This is where we lighten things up from the traditional version because unlike most 7-layer dips that use sour cream or cream cheese, we’re using plain yogurt, which adds an extra boost of protein. We’re mixing the yogurt is with taco seasoning, so be sure to try out my homemade kind!
- Homemade guacamole: fresh avocado, cilantro, jalapeños, lime juice and a little salt and pepper. Grab the full recipe here! My favorite thing to do? Taste test with a chip or two before you layer it on. You know you want to.
- Toppings: finish it off with little cheese, grape tomatoes (they hold their shape best), black olives, diced red or green onion, cilantro and jalapeños (if you like a little spice).
How to make a healthy 7-layer dip
You’re going to love how easy this 7-layer dip is to make. Plus, it makes plenty of servings so it’s perfect for potlucks, holidays and game day!
- First, spread refried beans all over the bottom of a 9×9 inch pan.
- Next, make your taco layer: in a medium bowl, mix together the yogurt and packet of taco seasoning (or DIY taco seasoning). Spread on top of refried beans.
- Make your guacamole layer: in a separate medium bowl, mash avocados with a fork until a mix between smooth and chunky. Stir in cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice and add salt and pepper to taste. Spread on top of yogurt taco layer.
- Finally, add remaining layers in the following order: shredded cheese, quartered grape tomatoes, sliced black olives, diced onion, cilantro and a few jalapeno slices.
What to serve with healthy 7-layer dip
This dip is perfect with literally everything. Here’s what I recommend:
- Tortilla chips
- Pita chips
- Veggies like carrot sticks, celery or cucumber slices
- My personal favorite: plantain chips
- Try it with my homemade paleo crackers
- you could even scoop some onto your favorite taco recipe! YUM.
Make it ahead of time
I recommend making this the healthy 7-layer dip the day of for peak freshness, but you can also make it up to 24 hours ahead of time! Once you’ve made it simply cover it and refrigerate it until you’re ready to serve it the next day.
How to store 7-layer dip
If you have any leftover dip simply add it to smaller airtight containers and place it in the refrigerator. This healthy 7-layer dip will stay good in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
See how to make the healthy 7-layer dip:
More healthy appetizers to try:
Tortilla Chip-Crusted Baked Jalapeño Poppers
Vegetarian Plantain & Black Bean Taco Cups
Jalapeño-Goat Cheese Grilled Stuffed Mini Peppers
Sesame Garlic Grilled Sweet Potato Fries with Yogurt Curry Dip
Roasted Strawberry, Basil, and Goat Cheese Crostini
I hope you love this fresh & healthy 7-layer dip recipe! If you make it, don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. xoxo — happy eating!
Fresh & Healthy 7-Layer Dip
The BEST healthy 7-layer dip ever made with beans, protein-packed yogurt, taco seasoning, guacamole, cheese, tomatoes, black olives, onion, cilantro and jalapeños. This healthy 7-layer dip recipe is fresh, flavorful and absolutely delicious! Always a crowd-pleaser for potlucks, game day and holidays.
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans (use vegetarian refried beans if you are vegetarian)
- For the taco layer:
- 3 5.3 oz containers or 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 (1 ounce) packet of taco seasoning*
- For the guacamole layer:
- 2 medium avocados
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- ½ lime, juiced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Remaining layers:
- ½ cup shredded cheddar or mexican cheese
- 1 ½ cups quartered grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion or green onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Optional: jalapeño slices
Spread refried beans all over the bottom of a 9x9 inch pan.
In a medium bowl, mix together the yogurt and packet of taco seasoning (or DIY taco seasoning). Spread on top of refried beans.
In a separate medium bowl, mash avocados with a fork until a mix between smooth and chunky. Stir in cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice and add salt and pepper to taste. Spread on top of yogurt.
Finally, add remaining layers in the following order: shredded cheese, quartered grape tomatoes, sliced black olives, diced onion, cilantro and a few jalapeno slices.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Recipe be can be made 24 hours in advance, but is best to make the day of! Serves 10. Serve with tortilla chips, plantain chips, pita chips, carrot sticks, celery or cucumber slices.
Make your own DIY taco seasoning with this recipe!
Make it ahead of time: I recommend making this the healthy 7-layer dip the day of for peak freshness, but you can also make it up to 24 hours ahead of time! Once you've made it simply cover it and refrigerate it until you're ready to serve it the next day.
How to store 7-layer dip: if you have any leftover dip simply add it to smaller airtight containers and place it in the refrigerator. This healthy 7-layer dip will stay good in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Siggi’s is the BEST! I’m totally obsessed with it also and was very excited to see this as a substitute in a 7-layer dip recipe! Great idea, I hadn’t thought of doing that. We’re trying to eat healthier and this will be a healthier version for us. Thanks!
Love siggi’s! The Greek yogurt in here is amazing – hope everyone loves it!
I switched the pinto bean dip for a homemade black bean dip.
Pinned, printed and saved❤️
Yum! Glad you loved it!
Made this for a family cookout and it was a big hit! Easily the best side dish. I received so many great compliments and shared the recipe with a lot of people. I did add some fresh garlic to the guac. Will try again with refried black beans.
Amazing! Such a great side 🙂
Made this for superbowl and it was devoured! The substitutions that make this a healthy alternative to a traditional 7 Layer Dip do not take anything away in terms of flavor and in fact with all the topping ingredients that are recommended to layer on, make it aesthetically even more appealing than the traditional.
Also incredibly simply to make ahead of time and even make extra guacamole if you’d like to have that as an additional app.
When I say we could not stop eating this… I am serious we could not stop. And, it was filled with veggies, healthy fat, fiber and protein, so there’s no reason to stop! So delicious and so flavorful. I can’t wait to make this again.
Absolutely! Love this easy snack.
Just made this, and HOLY COW is it YUMMO!!! Monique never lets me down and always has such easy to follow and delicious recipes! Was so good, will DEFINITELY put this one in rotation. Thanks AK!!
Yay! I’m so happy you loved it, Kitty!!
Hi Team,super healthy food
the diy taco seasoning link doesn’t work on the recipe above
Sorry about that! It should link to this recipe. We’ll fix that!
So easy, and SOOO good. I make this for parties, for game night, for a healthy work snack its requested all the time when i ask *what can i bring*? AK is my *go to* for lots of recipes and this one is definitely 5 stars! Yay! Yum!
Aw love this! So happy you are enjoying these recipes ❤️