Tony’s Ridiculously Easy Homemade Salsa
Tony’s ridiculously easy homemade salsa recipe using fresh tomatoes with a kick of heat from jalapeño. This homemade salsa is bursting with flavor and comes together right in your blender or food processor! Make it chunky or smooth and serve it with chips, on nachos, in burritos and more.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
One of the reasons I love summer is because Tony is quite the grill master. I get to put my feet up while he whips up amazing burgers (these are our favs), grilled chicken and his famous grilled brussels sprouts.
We love pairing grilled main dishes with plenty of apps and sides, and Tony’s famous homemade salsa is our go-to all summer long. He started perfecting this recipe a couple of years back and we seriously can’t get enough! It’s made with all fresh produce like tomatoes, onion, cilantro and jalapeño, and you can literally pair it with anything your heart desires. Tony makes a big batch and we, of course, gobble it up with tortilla chips, but love it with nachos, grain bowl and even scrambled eggs in the morning. THE BEST.
While I’m a big fan of fruit salsas like my famous avocado peach salsa, there’s something about a fresh tomato salsa that’s just so addicting.
Whip up a batch, double or triple it for a crowd, and enjoy all summer long!
Everything you’ll need to make this homemade salsa
The key to delicious, flavorful homemade salsa? Super fresh ingredients! We’re using fresh produce and a few special seasonings to make this tomato salsa extra delicious. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
What tomatoes are best for salsa?
I think that roma tomatoes give homemade salsa the best texture and flavor, but you can also use vine-ripe or heirloom tomatoes if you’d like.
Easy homemade salsa in 3 simple steps
- Combine the ingredients. Add all of your ingredients to a blender or food processor.
- Blend it up. Pulse or blend all of the ingredients until they reach the consistency you’d like.
- Taste & adjust. From here you’ll want to taste the salsa and add more salt if you’d like.
What’s the difference between this salsa and pico de gallo?
While the ingredients in this homemade salsa recipe are very similar to those in traditional pico de gallo, the method is what differentiates the two. Pico de gallo typically uses all diced ingredients so that everything is chunky and less watery. Because we’re blending the ingredients in this salsa recipe you’ll get a salsa that is a little smoother than pico de gallo.
Patience is key
One of the key steps for making incredible tomato salsa is to let it chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours or overnight so that the flavors come together. I know it’s tempting to dive right in, but trust me on this one!
Our best tips for making homemade salsa with fresh tomatoes
- Core & seed your tomatoes. To make sure your salsa isn’t too watery, I recommend coring and removing the seeds from your tomatoes before adding them to your food processor.
- Don’t over blend. Even if you like a smoother, more blended salsa, be sure not to completely purée it as it will become soupy instead of scoop-able.
- Start small on the salt. Remember that you can always add salt but can’t take any out, so start small and add as needed. If you’re serving the salsa with super salty chips or a saltier meal, you may only want to add a little salt to your salsa.
- Choose your spice. If you like a lot of spice like I do, feel free to keep the jalapeño seeds in! If not, simply de-seed your jalapeños and feel free to reduce down to one.
Delicious ways to enjoy it
Besides the obvious: scooping mounds of this delicious salsa onto your fav tortilla chips, here are some other amazing ways to use it:
- Add it to your favorite tacos like these chicken tacos and these sweet potato & black bean tacos
- Put some on top of your bowl of chili
- Add it to your favorite burrito bowl or my new sazon skillet chicken
- Use it as a dip for savory burritos, breakfast burritos and amazing breakfast quesadillas
- Top these grilled chicken thighs for the perfect summer dinner
- Of course, add a scoop as a side to your scrambled eggs and crispy breakfast potatoes
The options are truly endless!
How to store fresh salsa
Store this homemade salsa in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
More dips & salsas you’ll love
- Avocado Peach Salsa
- Fresh Mango Salsa Recipe
- Avocado Strawberry Mango Salsa
- Spicy Green Cashew Dip
- Fresh & Healthy 7-Layer Dip
Get all of our dips & salsas here!
I hope you love this homemade salsa recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Tony's Ridiculously Easy Homemade Salsa
Tony's ridiculously easy homemade salsa recipe using fresh tomatoes with a kick of heat from jalapeño. This homemade salsa is bursting with flavor and comes together right in your blender or food processor! Make it chunky or smooth and serve it with chips, on nachos, in burritos and more.
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes (vine-ripe, roma or heirloom), cored and quartered -- I like Roma best for texture
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 green onion, ends trimmed
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños (with seeds If you like heat!), diced
- 1 heaping handful of cilantro (about 1/2 cup)
- Half a lime, juiced
- Pinch of cumin
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt, to taste
Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and pulse until it gets to the desired consistency; you can make it chunky or smooth! I like a little bit of texture so I go with slightly chunky. Add salt to taste. Chill salsa for 1-2 hours or overnight to let flavors come together. Serve with chips, on nachos, on chili, or anything you like!
To store: store this homemade salsa in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eat
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Join the AK email list and get my brand new, FREE Simple & Nourishing 7-day Meal Plan delivered to your inbox.