About once a week, I get a craving for a big, juicy burger. Hbu?
Since I didn’t grow up eating a lot of red meat, I don’t tend to love regular beef cheeseburgers. Instead, I opt for a juicy chicken (or turkey!) burger grilled to perfection, often piled high with creamy avocado and tomato slices all on a toasted bun.
But this time…. I was craving something a little different.
Since your girl also happens to love a good sweet and spicy bbq sauce slathered on just about anything, I decided that a recipe for BBQ chicken burgers needed to go on the blog ASAP. Safe to say, they are a new favorite!
Abra and I devoured these chicken burgers one afternoon with a side of grilled sweet potato fries and couldn’t stop telling each other just how good they were. They’re juicy, flavorful, packed with veggies and healthy! What more could you want?
Ingredients in BBQ chicken burgers
These healthy chicken burgers are my favorite to throw on the grill during the summer because not only are they incredibly delicious but also super juicy, packed with flavor and easy to make! The secret ingredient keeping them so moist and juicy is shredded sweet potato; trust me, you won’t regret adding it because it also gives the burger a unique slight sweetness, plus it’s nutritious! YUM.
Here are the main ingredients you’ll need for the chicken burgers:
- lean ground chicken (don’t use extra lean!)
- shredded sweet potato
- your favorite bbq sauce (I personally love stubb’s!)
- diced onion
- sharp cheddar cheese
- hamburger buns of choice (can even do gluten free!)
Use whatever toppings you’d like for your chicken burger but my personal favorites are extra bbq sauce, red onion and butterhead lettuce. Simple, but oh so good!
How to grill chicken burgers
First you’ll divide your chicken burger mixture into four 1/2 inch patties. Grill over medium-high heat or around 400 degrees F for 5-8 minutes per side or until burgers are cooked through and a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
During the last few minutes of cooking the chicken burgers, add a slice of cheddar cheese on top of each burger patty; cover the grill for about 1 minute while the cheese melts. Then place on buns and pile high with your favorite toppings!
If these photos haven’t convinced you to make these delicious grilled chicken burgers, I’m not sure what will. I hope you get a chance to try them out very soon. Maybe for a 4th of July BBQ?!
What to serve with chicken burgers
If you’re looking for delicious recipes to serve with these juicy chicken burgers, here are a few that always go over well:
If you try these chicken burgers, be sure to leave a comment and rate it below and let me know how you liked it. And of course, don’t forget to snap a photo and tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creations. xo!
Sweet Potato Cheddar BBQ Chicken Burgers
- 1 pound 93% lean ground chicken (or sub ground turkey) -- do not use 99%
- 1 cup shredded raw sweet potato (from about 1 small sweet potato)
- 2 tablespoons low sugar bbq sauce of choice
- 1/4 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- For assembly:
- 4 hamburger buns of choice, toasted if desired
- 4 tablespoons low sugar BBQ sauce of choice, for topping
- Butterhead lettuce
- Sliced red onion
- Make the chicken burgers by adding the ground chicken turkey, shredded sweet potato, bbq sauce, onion, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper to a large bowl. Mix with your hands until evenly combined. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into 1/2 inch patties.
- Grill over medium-high heat (around 400 degrees F) for 5-8 minutes per side or until burgers are cooked through and a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F. During the last few minutes of cooking the chicken burgers, add a slice of cheddar cheese on top of each burger patty; cover the grill for about 1 minute while the cheese melts.
- Place the burgers on buns, top with onion, lettuce and drizzle with extra bbq sauce and top with onions. Serve immediately. Great with sweet potato fries or fresh fruit!
Nutrition calculated without bun: Calories: 293 | Total Fat: 15.2g | Sat. Fat: 6.5g | Carbs: 12.4g | Fiber: 1.2g | Sugar: 3.8g | Protein: 27.8g