Have you ever had brussels sprouts on the grill?
We’ve been going through a bit of an obsession lately over here. Tony makes them at least twice a week to pair with chicken sausages, my honey mustard chicken or salmon. We just can’t get enough and always seem to be coming back to this simple, yet oddly addicting dish, so I figured, why not put it on the blog.
These grilled brussels sprouts are tender, caramelized and perfect paired with my garlic fingerling potatoes (that you can also grill!) and make the best healthy side dish during the summer when you don’t feel like turning on your oven.
Easy grilled brussels sprouts ingredients
You literally only need 6 simple ingredients to make this foil pack grilled brussels sprouts:
- Brussels sprouts: of course, because that’s what we’re grilling up!
- Yellow onion: for an extra veggie and boost of flavor.
- Olive oil: to coat the onion and brussels sprouts well.
- Spices: we’re just using garlic powder, salt & pepper in this recipe. Simple, yet incredibly flavorful!
How to grill brussels sprouts in foil
We’re using a foil pack method to make these easy grilled brussels sprouts. It’s truly a game changer!
- First, preheat your grill to 400 degrees. Wash your brussels sprouts and pat them dry.
- Next, place your brussels and onion slices in a large bowl, then drizzle them with olive oil, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- Make your foil pack: add the brussels onto a large piece of foil, then add another large piece of foil on top. Seal the edges by folding a piece of foil together. Use a fork or knife to poke a hole at the top of the foil to allow some steam to escape.
- Grill the whole foil pack: place it over direct heat on the preheated grill and grill for approximately 20-25 minutes. Serve immediately, adding more salt and pepper if necessary.
Feel free to double the recipe and make two separate foil packs to serve four people.
Why use a foil pack to grill brussels sprouts?
- It prevents the brussels sprouts from falling through the grill grates (phew)
- A foil pack also holds in all of the spices and oil so none of it spill through the grates
- Using a sealed foil pack with holes poked in the top helps to evenly cook the brussels sprouts all the way through without them getting mushy from the steam.
Customize your grilled brussels sprouts
I love keeping the brussels sprouts simple with garlic powder, salt & pepper, but feel free to make them your own!
- Add your favorite spices and seasonings like chili powder & cayenne pepper for a kick of heat, balsamic, rosemary & thyme for and herby flavor, or even maple syrup, garlic and cinnamon for a sweet & savory combo.
- Add some chopped bacon or pancetta for an even more savory flavor.
- Toss in some extra veggies like carrots, red onion, bell pepper or asparagus. Just be sure to space everything out so that it cooks evenly.
How to store grilled brussels sprouts
If you have any brussels sprouts leftover feel free to store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat simply place them in the microwave until they’re heated through or toss them on the stovetop.
What to serve with grilled brussels sprouts
These easy grilled brussels sprouts in foil make the best side dish for your favorite summer mains. Here are some of my favorites:
- Ultimate Vegan Black Bean Burgers with Creamy Tahini Garlic Sauce
- Baked or Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- Seriously Good Sweet Potato Cheddar BBQ Chicken Burgers
- Blackened Salmon Tacos with Forbidden Rice & Mango Guacamole
- Greek Chicken Kabobs
- Sticky, Sweet & Spicy Grilled Ginger Chicken
I hope you love this easy foil pack grilled brussels sprouts recipe! If you make them be sure to leave a comment & a rating to let me know how you liked them. Enjoy, xo!
Tony's Melt-In-Your-Mouth Grilled Brussels Sprouts
Incredible, melt-in-your-mouth grilled brussels sprouts made in foil packs with just six simple ingredients! These easy foil pack grilled brussels sprouts make the perfect plant based side dish for any summer main.
- ½ pound brussels sprouts, cut in half
- ½ yellow onion, cut into thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees. Wash your brussels sprouts and pat them dry.
Place brussels and onion slices in a large bowl, then drizzle them with olive oil, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Next add brussels onto a large piece of foil, then add another large piece of foil on top. Seal the edges by folding a piece of foil together. Use a fork or knife to poke a hole at the top of the foil to allow some steam to escape. Place over direct heat on the preheated grill and grill for approximately 20-25 minutes. Serve immediately, adding more salt and pepper if necessary.
If you'd like you can double the recipe to serve 4 and make two foil packets instead of one to ensure even cooking.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats