My former Applebee’s order in middle and high school: chicken tenders with a decent sized amount of honey mustard for dipping. Give me all the tangy sweetness, please.
Not gonna lie, I’ve always been obsessed with all things mustard. I love dipping my carrots in dijon. Can’t have a sandwich without spicy or brown mustard…or any mustard really. I get weak for a good honey mustard pretzel combo. Can’t ever have a hot dog or corn dog without yellow mustard. The list goes on.
Today I’m sharing one of my favorite mustard uses: a honey mustard chicken marinade to make the BEST honey mustard chicken! You can grill or bake it, and the honey mustard is great for a salmon marinade, too.
Keys to a delicious chicken marinade
A great chicken marinade requires three key ingredients to make your chicken super juicy and flavorful:
- Fat from oil or even full fat yogurt or buttermilk
- Acid from vinegar or citrus fruit
- Plenty of seasonings like spices and fresh or dried herbs
Get all of my tips and tricks for making the perfect chicken marinade, plus ways to grill different parts of chicken here!
Honey mustard chicken ingredients
This easy honey mustard chicken recipe has just 4 main ingredients that make the most delicious combo perfect for chicken. Options to make it a little spicy, too, because you know how I do. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Honey: for the delicious, sweet base of the honey mustard marinade.
- Dijon mustard: a little tangy dijon mustard to pair with the honey.
- Olive oil: you’ll want a bit of olive oil to add moisture and coat the chicken completely.
- Garlic: fresh garlic brings out all of the flavors.
- Salt & pepper: add plenty of salt and pepper for the perfect amount of seasoning.
- Optional: a pinch of cayenne pepper for some heat. Or even a teaspoon of curry powder for something a little different!
- Chicken: this marinade will work for 1 pound of chicken breast, chicken thighs, wings or even drumsticks!
How to make honey mustard chicken marinade
- Add all of your marinade ingredients to a large bowl and stir well.
- Add your chicken and stir again to evenly coat the chicken.
- Cover and place the bowl with the chicken in the fridge for 30 minutes to one hour, or even longer for a more intense, flavorful marinade.
- Grill or bake your chicken however you’d like! We love grilling ours.
Can you freeze chicken marinades?
Yes! If you’d like to save your chicken for later, simply pour the honey mustard marinade into a resealable, freezer-friendly bag, add your chicken, and freeze the entire bag for up to 3 months.
To thaw your chicken: when you’re ready to cook it, simply thaw the chicken in the marinade overnight in the refrigerator and cook and bake however you’d like.
Ways to use honey mustard chicken + pairings
This delicious honey mustard chicken recipe can be used in tons of your favorite recipes:
- Learn how to grill the perfect honey mustard chicken breast with these tips & tricks.
- Make easy chicken kabobs like these
- Serve with my grilled garlic fingerling potatoes and a side salad.
- Add it to a summery pasta salad recipe
- Top a beautiful, crunchy salad or serve it on the side
- Serve it with grilled sweet potato fries and an amazing, healthy coleslaw
- Throw it in a wrap with other veggies.
I hope you love this honey mustard chicken — feel free to bake or grill it. If you make it, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe — I really appreciate it! xo.
Honey Mustard Chicken
Delicious and simple honey mustard chicken with the best honey mustard marinade. This paleo honey mustard marinade is sweet, tangy and an easy way to add moisture and flavor to any cut of chicken!
- 1 pound chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard (I like the grainy dijon mustard!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced or grated
- Optional if you like a bit of heat: ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper
In a large bowl, mix together honey, dijon mustard, olive oil, garlic, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper. Add chicken and stir well to coat the chicken in the marinade. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour. Grill or bake chicken however you’d like. Serves 4.
To grill chicken: Preheat grill to 400 degrees. Once preheated, place your chicken on your grill, and close the lid. It’s important to keep the lid of your grill closed while your chicken is cooking so that no heat escapes. Cook your chicken on the grill for 6-8 minutes on one side. After 6-8 minutes open your grill lid and flip your chicken with tongs. A great tip is to only flip your chicken breast once so that it stays nice and juicy (and creates delicious grill marks!). Cook your chicken breast for 6-8 minutes more. Cook time will vary a bit depending on the size of your chicken and what type of cut, so be sure to check the internal temperature in the thickest part of the chicken breast using a meat thermometer. When the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, your chicken is done and can be transferred to a clean plate or cutting board.Immediately cover chicken with foil to seal in the juices and allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting into it. This will help you achieve that juicy, chicken breast you’re looking for!
To bake your honey mustard chicken: preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and internal temperature reads 165 degrees F.
To freeze this chicken marinade: simply pour it into a resealable, freezer-friendly bag, add your chicken and freeze the entire bag for up to 3 months.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats