Now that summer is here, the outside of our condo is completely covered in beautiful green vines. I love opening my windows each morning and seeing the birds hang out amongst the vines, chirping as early at 4am.
Over the weekend we even decided to move our patio furniture around so we get the best view of the trees and lush greens. Unfortunately, I haven’t had time (or haven’t made time) to start planting our flowers or plants this year. A few years ago we grew tomatoes, jalapenos, strawberries, green peppers, cilantro, basil, green onion and a few others I can’t recall. My favorite (of course) was the lemon tree, which by the way only produced one baby lemon the size of a cherry. I blame Chicago weather. And the fact that I tried to grow a lemon tree in a plant container on my deck.
Despite the lack of plants & flowers in our yard so far, we still love hanging out on the deck and grilling up delicious dinners. Every summer dinner needs an amazing side, too, and these grilled sweet potato fries are always a hit.
Everything you’ll need to make grilled sweet potato fries
These AMAZING crispy sweet potato fries are my summer side dish obsession because they are SO easy to make on the grill since they only take about 10 minutes tops. For a fun new savory dip, I’m sharing my yogurt curry dip made with just a few ingredients you probably have in your fridge. It’s a fun way to change things up. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Sweet potatoes: a couple of sweet potatoes go a long way, but feel free to double the recipe for even more.
- Sesame oil: I love using toasted sesame oil for the amazing flavor, but regular sesame oil or olive oil work just as well.
- Garlic: garlic adds the perfect flavor to these grilled sweet potato fries.
- Salt & pepper: to bring out all of the flavors.
- Cilantro & sesame seeds: because you know I love a good garnish.
- For the yogurt curry dip: plain greek yogurt, curry powder, fresh lime or orange juice, maple syrup, salt, water (to thin) and a pinch of cayenne if you like a little heat.
How do you grill sweet potatoes?
Sweet potato fries couldn’t be easier to make:
- First, slice the sweet potatoes into decent sized wedges.
- Toss the wedges in a little sesame oil & garlic mixture.
- Finally, grill them on medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes per side. YEP, it’s that easy!
Tips for grilling sweet potato fries
- Cut them thick. Remember to cut your sweet potato wedges nice and thick – about 1 inch wide – so that they don’t burn too easily.
- Choose the right temp. I recommend grilling them on medium heat (about 375 degrees F).
- Watch closely! Make sure you watch closely so that the fries do not burn. They should get nice grill marks and be tender but still crispy on the outside!
Let’s talk dips
You’re going to LOVE the yogurt curry dip. It’s the perfect balance of curry flavor, creaminess, sweetness and freshness. You can also make one of these delicious sauces and use them as a dip for your sweet potato fries:
- The Best Homemade Hummus (5 different flavors!)
- Spicy Green Cashew Dip
- Avocado Lime Sauce
- Creamy Feta Yogurt Dressing (or dip!)
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing
Get all of my sauce and dip recipes here!
What to serve with grilled sweet potato fries
The options are truly endless, but here are some of my favs:
- Seriously Good Sweet Potato Cheddar BBQ Chicken Burgers
- Street Corn Pasta Salad with Cilantro Pesto + Goat Cheese
- Vegan Sweet Potato Burgers
- Jalapeño Curry Turkey Burgers
- Greek Chicken Kabobs
- Pesto Turkey Burger Sliders on Sweet Potato Buns
- Ultimate Vegan Black Bean Burgers with Creamy Tahini Garlic Sauce
If by chance you don’t have a grill, you can always bake these amazing sweet potato fries with a honey mustard dipping sauce. Or just dunk em in a spicy BBQ sauce OR Trader Joe’s ketchup (my personal fav!).
These are perfect for your summer BBQs so I hope you get a chance to try them out. xoxo!
I hope you love these easy grilled sweet potato fries! If you make them I’d love for you to leave a comment and a rating letting me know how you liked them. I greatly appreciate it – xoxo!
Sesame Garlic Grilled Sweet Potato Fries with Yogurt Curry Dip
Delicious, easy grilled sweet potato fries with a hint of garlic and sesame flavor. These healthy grilled sweet potato fries come together in just 20 minutes for the perfect summertime appetizer or side dish. Serve with an irresistible yogurt curry dip!
- For the sweet potato fries:
- 2 large sweet potatoes (or 3 medium), cut into about 1 inch wide wedges
- 1 ½ tablespoons toasted sesame oil (regular sesame oil or olive oil also works)
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the Yogurt Curry Dip:
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water to thin dip, if necessary
- Optional: pinch of cayenne pepper
- To garnish:
- Fresh cilantro
- Sesame seeds
Preheat grill to 375 degrees F or medium heat. In a large bowl toss sweet potato wedges, sesame oil, garlic powder, and salt.
Make the dip by combining the yogurt, curry powder, lime juice, maple syrup, salt and cayenne in a small bowl. Place in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Once the grill is preheated, place the sweet potato wedges on the grill and cook about 4-5 minutes on each side. They should get nice grill marks; make sure you watch closely so that the fries do not burn.
Once done, transfer to a plate and garnish with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro.
Serve with the yogurt curry dip.
See the full post for tips, tricks & ideas for even more dips!
These look amazing!! Unfortunately I don’t have a grill though – do you think these would be good roasted? Thanks!
Omg, that curry dip tho…
So, if you have a charcoal grill, I assume you’d put the hot coals on one side and the sweet potato wedges on the other so that they don’t cook too fast and burn?
I am always looking for new veggie ideas for the grill, these look fantastic! I love that you paired them with a sauce as well, pinning for later, Thanks!
ooh, ive never had grilled sweet potatoes before! they sound so garlicky and nutty that i bet i’d be happy eating them plain (though the dip makes them sound even better!!).
LOVE the video! And the recipe looks amazing friend. Bravo!! xoxo
Sweet potato wedges are one of my favorites! LOVE them with organic ketchup or even peanut butter! I’m such a classic foodie!
LOVE the idea of grilling sweet potatoes! Trying ASAP!
I feel the same way about Chicago – this was my first year here and winter (even though it was apparently not so bad this year) felt so long and then BOOM all the sudden there’s an awesome amount of green. We have a little patio and I’ve absolutely rammed it with plants. I’m willing the tomatoes to grow – even if I get one I will be so proud of myself! haha!
Right?! The seasons seem to change all in one day (or we get multiple season in one day…ha!) Fingers crossed for your tomatoes, too 🙂
Wow, this looks fantastic and so exotic! I never would have thought to try it and here I am, tasting something really good! Thanks a lot for this.
These are delicious! The dip is really awesome-would never have thought of lime juice, but truly excellent.
Thanks Pat! Glad you enjoyed 🙂
Really good, cold, too!
WillianDa Sverige CoyIrving
ShayneKir Olympique Lyonnais KeenanDum
FreddieEb Chelsea PollyHard
SavannahH Mexico LutherLof
OlivaCard Wales KlausHuds
FranklynR Spanien KrystalKe
JaniDonle Spanien AngieBraz
BartWestp Frankrike LBFMontec
BillieAxa Italien SSULaylau
Terrilaeu Portugal ElyseBidm
NildaPrec West Ham United ZacEusebi
Zenaidasm Seattle Sounders JennieWas
Terrencex Bayern Munchen BernicePi
MadisonSp Colombia CathernZe
JannaFenn Spanien CelinaJas
One of the best recipe of sweet potato, I came across. It would be a worth try.
I’m always looking for new recipes to add to my life and I’m glad I found this! The macronutrients on it don’t look too bad at all either. Going to give it a try and hope it turns out like yours haha
Love these! Hope you do too!
This looks amazing, what would you recommend for how to cook them in the oven? Thanks!
I would bake them at 425 for about 15 minutes, flip them, and then bake for 10-15 minutes more!
Love the flavor of these sweet potato fries.
That sip sounds absolutely amazing with those!
It is! So delicious 🙂
My new favourite and summer go to recipe. (Actually, will likely be a year round go to!)
Perfect! One of my favorites, too 🙂