This year on the blog (and by request) I’m making a huge effort to make traditional recipes healthier and more nutritious but also provide more vegan and gluten-free options for all of you. As Abra and I continue to go through the older recipes on the blog, we will be adding more categories and adding both v/gf options to almost every single recipe. Whoo hoo!
Since potato salad is one of the most popular side dishes out there, I decided to rack my brain for a creative and exciting way to not only make the recipe vegan, but also a little more exciting than its traditional mayo-heavy version that all of our aunts go crazy for at summer BBQs.
What’s funny about potato salads, is that they’re all different. Some with eggs, some have onion, some with mayo and some with sour cream. I’m curious, how do you like yours?
I wanted this vegan potato salad to be extra special so I created a version with three different types of potatoes (red, purple and gold!) and a delicious green herbed tahini dressing that brings a fresh, tanginess to the potato salad. Not only is it gorgeous, but the dressing is AMAZING and a great way to use up the extra tahini lurking in your cupboard.
See how to make the vegan potato salad:
To make the tahini herb sauce, we use tahini, lemon juice, garlic, dijon, fresh parsley, cilantro, dill, salt and pepper and of course, Almond Breeze Almond Cashew Unsweetened Vanilla milk to add creaminess and flavor. I love using the almondmilk blends version to keep the dressing smooth and on the thicker side.
Just chop up your cooked and cooled potatoes, then drizzle the sauce over. You can also mix it together right away, but for presentation purposes, I suggest drizzling. Then garnish with green onions and black pepper for a little more punch.
This vegan potato salad makes great leftovers and should stay good for 3-4 days in the fridge. I love it best served cold. I suggest pairing it with my tofu kabobs for a vegan BBQ you won’t forget anytime soon! Enjoy! Xo
If you try this recipe, be sure to rate it below and let me know how you liked it. And of course, don’t forget to snap a photo and tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creations. xo!
Other vegan BBQ recipes you might like:
Vegan Potato Salad with Herbed Tahini Sauce
- For the potatoes
- ¾ pound red potatoes
- ¾ pound purple potatoes
- ¾ pound yellow gold potatoes
- *please note you can do a mix of any of these potatoes
- ½ cup diced green onions
- For the Herbed Tahini Dressing
- ⅓ cup tahini sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-4 tablespoons Almond Breeze Almond Cashew Unsweetened Vanilla, to thin
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place potatoes in a large pot filled with water and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium then boil for 10-13 minutes or until you can easily insert a knife into a potato.
- While the potatoes are boiling, make the tahini sauce: Add tahini sauce, lemon juice, almondmilk, garlic, dijon mustard, parsley, cilantro, dill, salt and pepper to a blender, and blend until smoothe and creamy. Taste and then add more salt and pepper, if necessary.
- When the potatoes are ready, drain them, transfer to a bowl and place them in the fridge for 1 hour or until completely cool.
- Once potatoes are cooled, slice them into ½ inch rounds and place in a bowl or on a large serving platter. Add green onions. Drizzle or toss with tahini dressing (I like to drizzle for presentation purposes.)
- Garnish with extra green onions and chopped dill. Serves 6-8.
This recipe is in partnership with Almond Breeze, all recipes, texts and opinions are my own. Thanks for continuing to support AK and the brands that help make this site possible!