I just had to re-share one of my favorite AK salads of all time that perfect for summer parties, BBQ’s and weekday meal prep. When I first made it a couple years back Abra and I literally could not stop eating it, so you know it’s the real deal. It’s my vegan broccoli chickpea salad.
Seriously this is a recipe guaranteed to keep you coming back for seconds. Why? For starters, there’s no cooking involved and it only takes 15-20 minutes from start to finish. Easy, right? Not only is it super quick, but it’s also packed with flavor from an addicting tahini dressing.
Trust me, you’re going to fall in love.
Looking for even more plant-based meals?
I’ve got you covered with my FREE email series: 5 Days of Plant-Based Eating! In this series I share my best plant-based, vegan recipes with you to enjoy for every meal of the day — snacks & desserts included!
Get all of the deets & sign up here to enjoy colorful, veggie-packed meals all season long.
Ingredients in this vegan curried broccoli chickpea salad
This curried broccoli chickpea salad is my new personal favorite. It’s BEAUTIFUL, crunchy, packed with veggies, protein and sweet and savory flavors dancing together. Here are the main ingredients in this broccoli chickpea salad:
- Veggies: we’re packing in finely chopped broccoli (of course), shredded carrots and green onion.
- Protein: this vegan broccoli salad has a protein boost from chickpeas!
- Mix-ins: what’s a salad without fun mix-ins? You’ll add toasted sliced almonds, fresh cilantro and dried cranberries for a punch of sweetness.
- For the dressing: OMG this dressing. It’s my #1 fav curry tahini dressing and you’ll need tahini (this is the brand I love — use the code ‘ambitiouskitchen’ for 10% off), lemon juice, garlic, a little pure maple syrup, yellow curry powder, fresh ginger, turmeric, salt & pepper.
By the way, if you haven’t tried my Moroccan chickpea quinoa salad yet, you need to ASAP. Both are plant-based party pleasers.
Wait, can you eat raw broccoli?
Yes! It’s super crunchy and so delicious as the base for salads. Raw broccoli will soak up all of that delicious curry tahini dressing and taste amazing. However, if you’re sensitive to raw vegetables feel free to give the broccoli a quick blanch before using it.
Make this salad your own
Looking to customize this broccoli chickpea salad a bit? It’s easy! Here’s what I can recommend:
- Choose your fav veggies: I think finely shredded brussels sprouts, purple cabbage, cauliflower or even kale would also be delicious.
- Pick a protein: while the chickpeas keep this broccoli salad vegan, feel free to add cooked, cubed chicken, shrimp or even my maple glazed salmon! To keep it vegan, feel free to add edamame or even a cup of cooked quinoa.
- Change up the dressing: trust me, the curry tahini dressing is out-of-this-world delicious. But if you’re looking for a different flavor, I think my Thai peanut dressing or sesame ginger dressing would be great!
Don’t forget these tips for amazing broccoli salad
- Chop the broccoli very fine. This will allow the dressing and flavors to marinade well throughout the salad. It will also make it easier to eat! Feel free to chop finely with a knife or even process the broccoli florets in a food processor very gently.
- Choose the dressing sweetness. I prefer only a teaspoon of maple syrup, but ultimately it’s up to you.
- Try making it ahead of time. This broccoli chickpea salad keeps well in the fridge, so if you’re looking for a healthy recipe to have during the week, THIS IS IT!
How to toast your own almonds for salads
I love toasting my own almonds and adding them to recipes because they turn out super flavorful. Here’s how to do it:
- Add sliced almonds to a pan and place over medium heat.
- Use a spatula to stir the almonds; stirring every 30 seconds or so until they are nice and golden brown, about 5 minutes total time. If pan begins to smoke, make sure to reduce the heat to prevent burning.
- Remove from heat, let cool and enjoy!
- OPTIONAL: add a sweet & spiciness by pouring in 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, pinch of salt and pinch of cayenne pepper after removing the almonds from the heat!
What to serve with this vegan curried broccoli chickpea salad
This curry broccoli salad packs plenty of protein, fiber & flavor to eat on its own for lunch, but it also makes the perfect side dish for a party. Here are some other delicious vegan recipes that you can serve it with:
- Ultimate Vegan Black Bean Burgers with Tahini Garlic Sauce
- Sesame Garlic Grilled Sweet Potato Fries with Yogurt Curry Dip
- Vegan Turmeric Pineapple Tofu Kabobs
- The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese You’ll Ever Eat
- Easy Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup (using canned tomatoes)
- Delicious Grilled Tofu (2 different ways!)
If you’re not vegan, I’d suggest serving it with these amazing Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Sandwiches, Sheet Pan Zucchini Chicken Meatballs, or my Moroccan-Spiced Turkey Burgers with Creamy Feta Sauce!
Store it for later
This crunchy curry broccoli salad will stay good in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. As I mentioned, it’s perfect for meal prep and gets even more delicious over time as the dressing soaks into all the veggies.
More salad recipes we love
- Cashew Crunch Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Vegan Caesar Pasta Salad
- Roasted Carrot Cauliflower Quinoa Salad with Sunshine Dressing
- Fiesta Mango Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- Famous Crunchy Cashew Thai Quinoa Salad
Get all of our delicious salad recipes here!
I hope you love this vegan broccoli chickpea salad! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe below. Enjoy, xo!
Vegan Curried Broccoli Chickpea Salad
Deliciously crunchy broccoli chickpea salad filled with curry flavors with an amazing tahini dressing. This vegan broccoli chickpea salad recipe packs plenty of protein and fiber for a satisfying lunch that's perfect for meal prep. Plus, it takes less than 20 minutes to throw together!
- For the salad:
- 1 head of broccoli, very finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds (can also use chopped roasted almonds)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- ¾ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 large lemon, juiced
- 3-5 tablespoons warm water, to thin dressing
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1-2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, to sweeten
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- ½ tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large bowl, add finely chopped broccoli, chickpeas, carrot, cranberries, green onion, and cilantro. Set aside.
Make the dressing by whisking together the following ingredients in a small bowl: tahini, lemon juice, water, garlic, maple syrup, curry powder, ginger, turmeric, salt and pepper. Immediately drizzle over salad and toss to combine. Sprinkle almonds on top and toss a few more times.
Serve immediately with fresh squeeze of lemon or place in the fridge for later. Salad will keep well up to 5 days.
If you are making this for a party, it most likely serves 6 rather than 4 people.
To toast almonds: Add sliced almonds to a pan and place over medium heat. Use a spatula to stir the almonds; stirring every 30 seconds or so until they are nice and golden brown, about 5 minutes total time. If pan begins to smoke, make sure to reduce the heat to prevent burning.