Yesterday Abra and I went to Studio Three and did their Ellie Goulding & Lana Del Rey themed cycling class. It was the first time I had hit the gym in nearly a month (except for that one time I had 10 mins and did 50 squats + lunges in Australia and couldn’t walk for days after).
Anyway, I can’t tell you just how good it felt to get moving again, even if it was 45 minutes. It made my day that much better.
You know what else feels good? Making meals at home again. Last night I made my very favorite and internet famous healthy turkey chili with a little cheese and tortilla chips. And now I’m absolutely craving this chickpea quinoa salad with vibrant moroccan flavors. I can’t EVEN describe how delicious it is.
K wait maybe I can…
Ingredients in this Moroccan chickpea quinoa salad
This incredible quinoa salad is like little pops of flavor dancing on my tongue in the Moroccan heat with sweet pops of cranberry flavor and crunchy toasted nutty almonds all with the freshness of parsley in every bite. It’s also vegan & gluten free! Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Onion: for a little bit of crispness in every bite.
- Moroccan spices: we’re using turmeric, cumin and cinnamon to give this dish a wonderful, global flavor and beautiful golden color.
- Quinoa: this protein-packed, gluten free grain truly makes this salad one of a kind. Feel free to use a tricolor quinoa if regular, white quinoa isn’t available.
- Vegetarian broth: I usually use a low sodium vegetarian broth. You can also use chicken broth if you’re not vegan or vegetarian, or opt for water.
- Chickpeas: for a boost of plant-based protein. Yum!
- Dried cranberries: feel free to use dried cranberries or cherries in this recipe. The sweetness is SO delicious in every bite.
- Fresh parsley
- Sliced almonds: I love the crunch of sliced almonds, and pistachios or pecans would also be perfect.
You won’t believe how easy and delicious this vegan chickpea quinoa salad turns out. Feel free to change up the add-ins, too, with what you have on-hand. I have plenty of suggestions below!
Toast your own almonds
I know it can be tricky to find toasted nuts, but it’s super easy (and worth it) to toast your own!
- Add your sliced nuts to a pan on the stovetop over medium-high heat.
- Carefully toss them around until they begin to smell fragrant, which should be about 5 minutes.
That’s it! Toasting them really brings out their flavor and a wonderful crunch.
Customize it with easy swaps
- Instead of cranberries you could also use dried cherries or even golden raisins
- Feel free to use pistachios or pecans instead of almonds for a different flavor twist
- Peas are delicious in this recipe if you are looking to add more veggies. I recommend adding in 2/3 cup frozen peas after quinoa is done cooking.
- If you’re not vegan or vegetarian you could also add cooked chicken!
How to make one pot Moroccan chickpea quinoa salad
- Add coconut oil to a large pot and place over medium heat. Once oil is hot add in onion and sauté until onion is translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in your spices: turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and salt and pepper; cook for 30 seconds more.
- Next add in broth (or water) and quinoa; bring mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and cook for exactly 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from heat and fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Stir in chickpeas, cranberries and parsley to the quinoa and mix until well-combined. Taste and adjust seasonings. Garnish with toasted almonds and extra parsley. Serves 4.
How to meal prep this quinoa salad
This easy chickpea quinoa salad recipe makes the perfect meal prep lunch. Simply divide the recipe in 4 separate mason jars or meal prep containers and enjoy for lunch throughout the week! Garnish your servings with extra toasted almonds. It’s actually delicious served warm or cold!
Simply put, I think you need to make it ASAP for lunch. This is one of my favorite quinoa salads of all time; it’s absolutely wonderful to bring to parties, pack for lunch, or pair with roasted chicken for dinner.
More quinoa recipes you’ll love:
I know you’re going to love this chickpea quinoa salad recipe. Please let me know if you make it by leaving a comment and rating the recipe below. I’d love to hear from you and it helps encourage others to make the recipe too! Enjoy xo.
One Pot Moroccan Chickpea Quinoa Salad
Sweet & savory 30-minute Moroccan chickpea quinoa salad made in one pot. This vegan chickpea quinoa salad recipe packs plenty of plant-based protein and delicious, global flavors from cumin, turmeric and cinnamon. The perfect vegetarian meal to prep for lunch!
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetarian broth (or water)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ⅔ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup finely diced flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup sliced toasted almonds
Add coconut oil to a large pot and place over medium heat. Once oil is hot add in onion and sauté until onion is translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the following spices: turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and salt and pepper; cook for 30 seconds more.
Next add in broth (or water) and quinoa; bring mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and cook for exactly 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from heat and fluff quinoa with a fork.
Stir in chickpeas, cranberries and parsley to the quinoa and mix until well-combined. Taste and adjust seasonings. Garnish with toasted almonds and extra parsley. Serves 4.
To serve: Place in mason jars or meal prep containers for lunch throughout the week. Garnish with extra toasted almonds.