It’s official: I’m on a Greek and Mediterranean food kick. I can’t stop dreaming about gyros, greek salads and tzatziki sauce on EVERYTHING. Therefore, I decided to whip up this super simple healthy chickpea salad for spring. It’s full of fresh veggies, tomatoes, spices, feta, olives and protein-packed chickpeas!
The best part about this chopped chickpea salad is that there’s no cooking required; all you’ll do is chop the veggies and toss them with the light lemon dressing. You can marinate it in the fridge for an hour or so, but it isn’t necessary.
Normally I like to eat this salad for lunch over mixed greens or spinach but you can also enjoy it as is. It’s full of plant based protein, a great option to pack for lunch, or even as an easy crowd pleaser for a BBQ or potluck, so let’s do it up!
How to make chickpea salad:
Step 1: Chop all your veggies. This should only take about 10-15 minutes.
Step 2: Place the veggies and drained chickpeas in a large bowl.
Step 3: Make your dressing by whisking together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, oregano and salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss to combine.
Step 4: Enjoy immediately or place in the fridge and eat later!
How long will this chickpea salad last?
This greek chickpea salad should last anywhere from 3-5 days covered in the fridge. After a few days the cucumbers will break down a bit, so I recommend enjoying it within 3 days of making the salad.
Tips for making greek chickpea salad:
- Feel free to add 1 avocado for additional nutrition and healthy fats.
- If you’d like additional plant based protein, or want to make this salad a little heartier, try adding in a cup of cooked quinoa.
- Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans, so you can purchase either.
- If you are making this for a party, I highly recommend doubling the salad recipe.
More healthy lunch recipes you’ll love:
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment below and rate the recipe! You can also snap and picture and post it on Instagram using the hashtag #ambitiouskitchen.
The Easiest Chickpea Greek Salad
- For the salad:
- 1 (15 ounce) can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 15 grape tomatoes, halved (about 1 cup halved grape tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped if desired
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled or cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
Place all salad ingredients into a large bowl and toss to combine.
In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano. Pour onto salad and toss again to well combine. Taste and add salt and pepper as you'd like.
Place in refrigerator for 1 hour to marinate, or serve immediately. Salad is best enjoyed within 2-3 days after making.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats