Deliciously creamy zucchini mac and cheese is the ultimate, healthy comfort food that adds in extra veggies! Make this easy zucchini mac and cheese for a weeknight dinner that the whole family will love.
It’s Day 3 of Zucchini Week and quite possibly one of my favorite recipes because HELLO MAC AND CHEESE. WITH ZUCCHINI. So creamy. So luxurious. So tantalizing.
Realistically, watch me say that all of my zucchini recipes coming to you this week are my favorite. I mean you can’t pick your favorite child, right?!
Many of you have been requesting a mac and cheese for quite some time and you know how I LOVE to lighten up comfort foods with irresistible creative flavors and twists.
This zucchini mac and cheese is no different! It’s a lightened up version of traditional mac and cheese and includes a TON of shredded zucchini.
Now I know what you may be thinking: zucchini in mac and cheese, realllllllyyyy?
AND I SAY YES, REALLY. I promise with my whole Robert Pattinson-loving-heart that you can’t even taste the zucchini. It’s just pure golden creamy cheesy goodness up in that skillet. See?
What’s in this zucchini mac and cheese?
This zucchini mac and cheese is made with super simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and refrigerator. The entire recipe takes about 20 minutes from start to finish, making it perfect for delicious weeknight meals that you, your partner and kiddos will literally INHALE. Here are the 7 key ingredients you’ll need:
- pasta shells: I LOVE using this type of pasta because the cheese coats the inside of each shell and gives it unbelievable cheesy flavor. Feel free to use gluten free pasta too!
- butter: you only need two tablespoons for the entire mac anc cheese recipe.
- flour: you can use whole wheat, regular or gluten free all purpose flour.
- spices: garlic powder and onion powder
- milk of choice: I typically make this with unsweetened almond or cashew milk because we don’t buy regular milk. However you can use whatever milk you’d like. If you want a richer mac and cheese, use 2% or whole.
- sharp cheddar cheese: I recommend shredding your own cheese from a block of cheese. It generally melts better!
- zucchini: our secret star veggie
Tips for making zucchini mac and cheese
This spectacular mac and cheese is easier to make that you think! You’ll only need one pot to boil the pasta and a skillet or another large pot to make the mac and cheese. Besides watching the video to guide you, here are a few tips and tricks to keep in mind when you make this recipe:
- Make sure to squeeze the zucchini of all excess moisture. I demonstrate how to do this in the video below.
- When you make your slurry sauce, it’s important to have all your ingredients already measured out and ready to go because it’s a quick process! Once the butter is melted, you’ll whisk in a little bit of the flour and then slowly add in milk, a little bit at a time, alternating with the flour and vigorously whisking away any lumps. You should end up with a smooth paste every time without too many lumps.
- It’s fun to pick a different cheese to top the mac and cheese. I tried a spicy cheddar and it was incredible, but pepper jack, parmesan, sharp cheddar or gouda would also be delicious. It’s up to you!
- At the end, you can either put the mac and cheese under the broiler for a few minutes to really get the top melted and golden, OR you can feel free to simply stir in the cheddar cheese you put on top.
I know you’re going to adore this recipe! It’s a great lightened up healthier mac and cheese base and also ridiculously delicious with broccoli, peas or grilled chicken for extra protein.
Watch me make the zucchini mac and cheese:
See you back here tomorrow for another delicious zucchini week recipe! xo.
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 514
- Fat: 19.9g
- Saturated fat: 10.6g
- Carbohydrates: 62.6g
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 24.6g
- 10 ounces dry pasta shells (gluten free if desired)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour (or sub regular flour or GF all purpose flour)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cashew milk, almond milk or regular milk (from the carton or homemade if you prefer)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese)
- 1 1/2 heaping cups shredded zucchini that’s been squeezed of excess moisture with a paper towel
- For topping:
- 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and reserved for the topping (or about ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese)
- First boil the noodles until al dente, according to the directions on the package. Once done cooking, drain and set aside.
- While the noodles are boiling, make a slurry: In a large oven safe skillet or pot add butter and place over medium heat. Once butter is melted, whisk in a little bit of the flour and then slowly add in milk, a little bit at a time, alternating with the flour and vigorously whisking away any lumps. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes stirring every so often, until the sauce thickens up similar to a gravy. Stir in garlic powder, onion powder, salt and LOTS of freshly ground black pepper.
- Next add in 6 ounces (or about 1 ½ cups shredded) of sharp cheddar cheese and stir until completely melted. Finally fold in cooked noodles and shredded zucchini. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED: Top mac and cheese with 2 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese. At this point you can either serve the mac and cheese as is and just fold in the extra cheddar you just added, or remove from heat and place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly golden. Serves 4 as a main, 6 as a side dish.
I recommend shredding your own cheese from a block of cheese. It generally melts better!
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
Pin this zucchini mac and cheese: