This easy vegan corn chowder recipe is SO delicious, thick and creamy yet there’s no cream. The secret is using coconut milk and blending half of the soup. Perfect for using up summer sweet corn!
Growing up in Minnesota, my Dad had a real big thing about eating corn at nearly every dinner. It’s a midwest staple, dontcha know?!
My personal favorite: good old creamy sweet corn from the can! MY GOODNESS, it’s SO sweet and delicious and has me feeling all sorts of nostalgia just writing about it. I fondly remember mixing the creamy corn into my mashed potatoes and covering it in black pepper. A weird young girl I was… and still am, thank you very much.
These days I don’t find myself eating corn all that often (unless it’s in my famous turkey chili), but last summer Tony’s mom gave us some really delicious sweet corn to use up and so my corn chowder makin’ adventure began and this beautiful vegan corn chowder.
To be honest, this recipe was inspired by a corn chowder I had in Napa at the Auberge du Soleil restaurant. I had never eaten anything similar before; the chowder was SO creamy, thick and perfectly sweet. We had huge slices of bread to soak it up and nearly fell off our chairs after drifting into a sweet corn heaven. Dramatic, but true.
What’s in this vegan corn chowder?
This vegan corn chowder is a cream-less, healthier version for you all to try. Each summer I love to make it at least once with seasonal sweet corn. You won’t need many ingredients for this corn chowder recipe, here’s the short list:
- sweet corn (you can use fresh or frozen)
- yukon gold potatoes
- vegetarian broth
- poblano pepper
- light coconut milk
Anyway, if you find yourself with a lot of sweet corn or if you just have a craving for corn chowder, then you need to try this recipe. You’re gonna want to slurp it up. Don’t forget the bread for dipping. xo!
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment below and rate the recipe! You can also snap a picture and post it on Instagram using the hashtag #ambitiouskitchen. And of course be sure to follow Ambitious Kitchen on Instagram. Xo!
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 312
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrates: 58.4g
- Sugar: 13.5g
- Fiber: 9.7g
- Protein: 8.9g
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced (can also use 1 jalapeno)
- 4 cups diced yukon gold potatoes
- 4-5 cups fresh sweet corn (can also use frozen)
- 1 (15 ounce) can light coconut milk (or regular milk if not vegan)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetarian broth
- Optional if not vegan: 1/4 cup sour cream to give it additional creaminess
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To garnish, if desired: greek yogurt or goat cheese, cilantro and scallions
- In a large soup pot over medium heat add the olive oil, onion, garlic, poblano, diced potatoes, corn and saute for 6-8 minutes or until potatoes start to soften.
- Slowly stir in the milk, vegetarian broth and sour cream, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan as you stir. Next stir in salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes uncovered or until the potatoes are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- To give a creamy texture, blend half of the soup (BE CAREFUL WHILE DOING THIS!) then return to the pot. Stir to incorporate and then taste and adjust seasonings as necessary -- adding in more salt and pepper if necessary.
- To serve, sprinkle with cilantro, a swirl of sour cream (if not vegan) and scallions. Serve with bread or your favorite crackers. Makes 4 servings.
Pin this vegan corn chowder: