Welcome back to post Labor Day weekend reality. Do you have a hangover? BTW I’m not talking the alcoholic kind of hangover. I’m talking about the food hangover that lasts for a day or two post stuffing your face with chips, all the dips, ice cream, and okay, several margaritas.
Am I just talking about myself here? Perhaps.
We had a good Labor Day weekend filled with all the eats you could dream of. We grilled chicken brats and burgers last night paired with Tony’s epic spicy homemade salsa. On Saturday, we brunched with friends, followed up an epic patio dinner at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants. Andd we also got ice cream cones bigger than our faces.
So yes, I do have a food hangover and I’m more than ready for a little green juice, a lot of squats at the gym and vegetable based soups for dinner. If you’re with me, then you’re going to LOVE today’s recipe.
Imagine a sweet creamy corn soup thickened with coconut milk and sweet potatoes and flavored with curry spice. Oh la la. And this creamy sweet potato corn chowder just so happens to be vegan and gluten free so that anyone can enjoy it. YES!
This soup doesn’t take much time to complete — just chop those veggies and taters up, then throw them in the pot. To thicken the soup, you’ll blend half of it then add it back in. It’s easy and makes for the best texture. An immersion blender would also work! You do you.
As far as the corn goes, I do recommend using fresh sweet corn off the cob, but if that’s not accessible, you can also use frozen sweet corn (preferably organic!).
This soup is lovely garnished with green onions & cilantro — they both add a fresh, delightful flavor to the soup.
Enjoy this sweet potato corn chowder! If you make it, I’d love to see a photo — upload a picture to Instagram and tag #ambitiouskitchen! xo.
More vegetarian soup recipes to try:
Vegan Curried Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3-4 cup diced sweet potatoes)
- 4 ears of sweet corn, kernels removed from the cob (about 4 cups of corn)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (I like spicy curry powder)
- pinch of ground ginger
- 1 (15oz) light coconut milk from the can
- 2 cups vegetarian broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To garnish, if desired: greek yogurt or goat cheese, cilantro and green onions
- In a large soup pot over medium heat add the olive oil, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sweet potatoes, corn and saute for 6-8 minutes or until potatoes start to soften. Season with curry powder and ginger.
- Slowly stir in the milk and vegetarian broth, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan as you stir. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- To give a creamy texture, blend 3 cups of the soup (BE CAREFUL WHILE DOING THIS!) then return to the pot. Stir to incorporate and season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- To serve, sprinkle with cilantro, a swirl of greek yogurt (or a coconut yogurt if vegan) and green onions. Makes 4 servings.
This recipe also works with unsweetened almond milk or regular milk instead of coconut milk, although I love the flavor and creaminess it gives the soup.