Welcome to day 2 of #AKPumpkinWeek 2019!
Today’s recipe feels rather appropriate as it just dipped below 50 degrees here in Chicago. Since I refuse to turn on the heat just yet, Milly and I are both snuggled under a blanket cuddling. Brrrrr.
Chilly weather means it’s soup season. Are you ready?
P.S. Feel free to check out all of our delicious soup recipes right here!
Today’s recipe was inspired by traditional African peanut stew, a delicious dish my mom used to always rave about that her friend Ana would make. Peanut stew is usually made with chicken, peanut butter, tomatoes or tomato sauce, sweet potatoes, onion, ginger and something spicy like cayenne or chili peppers. Each version is different, rich and delicious when soaked up with naan bread or served over rice.
Today’s peanut butter pumpkin soup recipe is a twist on traditional peanut stew and it just so happens to be made in the slow cooker, making it a breeze to whip up!
What’s in this peanut butter pumpkin soup?
This peanut butter pumpkin chicken soup is made with just a few ingredients you likely have in you pantry and makes for the creamiest, coziest soup recipe perfect for cool fall or winter nights. Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make the soup:
- boneless skinless chicken breast
- light coconut milk
- pumpkin puree
- low sodium chicken broth
- natural, creamy peanut butter (or you can use crunchy!)
- fresh grated ginger
- salt and pepper
I love to serve this soup with brown rice, similar to how you would serve curry. It’s also delicious with a side of naan bread to soak up that delicious peanut butter pumpkin flavor. To garnish, I recommend topping it with chopped roasted peanuts (or spicy roasted cashews!) and fresh cilantro. Yum.
What does peanut butter pumpkin chicken soup taste like?
This soup has flavors of traditional pumpkin soup with a hint of peanut butter flavor, creamy sweet coconut and a hint of spice thanks to cayenne. It’s unique and delicious at the same time!
How to make this peanut butter pumpkin soup on the stovetop
If you’d like to make this soup on the stovetop, you absolutely can. Here’s how to do it:
- In a large pot, saute onions with a bit of olive oil for 3-5 minutes, then add in ginger, garlic and cayenne and stir.
- Next add in 2 cups chicken broth (yes you are using 1/2 cup more broth), coconut milk, pumpkin puree, peanut butter and salt and pepper and stir together until well combined. Add in chicken breasts to the pot and bring soup to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook covered for 20-25 minutes.
- After 20-25 minutes, remove chicken with a slotted spoon and shred with two forks. Add chicken back to the pot and stir. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve as directed in recipe.
Pumpkin week giveaway
- Share any Ambitious Kitchen pumpkin recipe to Instagram or in the AK Facebook Group with the hashtag #AKPumpkinWeek
- The more you share, the greater your chance of winning!
- Winner will be randomly selected on 10/21/19 and contacted via Instagram or Facebook. USA or Canada only.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Peanut Butter Chicken Soup
Easy slow cooker pumpkin peanut butter chicken soup made with creamy coconut milk, pumpkin puree, natural peanut butter and delicious spices. This healthy peanut butter chicken soup is protein packed with unique, warming flavors that the whole family will love! Serve with rice or naan for a satisfying weeknight dinner.
- 1 (15 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup natural creamy peanut butter (just peanuts + salt as the ingredients)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (use only ¼ teaspoon if you don’t like things as spicy)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- For serving:
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Roasted chopped peanuts
- Cooked brown rice
Add light coconut milk, chicken broth, pumpkin puree, peanut butter, ginger, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to the bowl of a slow cooker. Whisk together until smooth and well combined. Next add in boneless skinless chicken breast and diced onion. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.
Once done cooking, remove chicken with a slotted spoon and transfer to a cutting board. Shred chicken with two forks, then add back to the slow cooker. Ladle into bowls, then garnish with cilantro and chopped peanuts. Optional to serve the soup over brown rice or quinoa. Serves 6.
To make vegan: use vegetarian broth and two cans of drained chickpeas instead of chicken.
Feel free to add veggies: I like to stir in 1 cup frozen peas, a few cups of spinach or julienned bell peppers at the end and allow the soup to cook in the slow cooker for 10-15 more minutes.
Nutrition info based on 6 servings:
Saturated Fat: 5.9g