Healthy white chicken chili that’s nice and creamy, yet there’s no cream! Made with green chile, chicken, corn and blended chickpeas to make it thick and creamy. This easy white chicken chili recipe can even be made in the slow cooker and is bound to become a new family favorite. Serve with avocado, tortilla chips and cilantro.
We must have a bunch of chili lovers who read Ambitious Kitchen, because my turkey chili has officially become my most popular recipe EVER. If you haven’t tried it yet, ’tis the season to get your chili and pumpkin cornbread game on.
If you’ve already tried it, then I recommend trying this creamy, healthy white chicken chili recipe because hot damn, it might just be my new favorite!
The secret to creamy, dairy free white chicken chili
What’s unique about this white chicken chili recipe is that it’s made without any cream, milk or dairy, yet the broth is still so creamy! The secret is using delicious chickpeas, in both whole form and then blended to create a rich puree that’s stirred into the soup to replace the cream or milk that’s typically used in most white chicken chili recipes.
Typically, white chicken chili is made with white beans, however, I happen to love the flavor and texture of chickpeas more so I chose to use them in this version and dang, it turned out DELICIOUS.
What’s in this white chicken chili?
This healthy white chicken chili is made with simple ingredients you likely already have in your cupboard and fridge, making it the perfect recipe to meal prep or serve during game day. Here’s what you need to make healthy white chicken chili:
- White onion
- Mild green chiles
- Spices like cumin, chili powder, coriander and oregano
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs (or feel free to use chicken breasts)
- Salt and pepper
I mean seriously, what could be better than a warm cozy bowl of chicken chili piled with avocado, tortilla chips, cilantro, and even, jalapenos if you’re feeling spicyyyyy (aka me errrday).
How to make white chicken chili in the slow cooker
Making healthy white chicken chili in the slow cooker is EASY. Simply add all ingredients except the lime juice and cilantro to your slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours. Remove chicken and shred, then add back to the slow cooker and stir in lime juice and cilantro. Season to taste. That’s it!
More healthy chili recipes you might like:
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram and I’ll love you even more if you leave a comment below and rate the recipe.
See how to make healthy white chicken chili:
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 443
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrates: 44.3g
- Sugar: 3.2g
- Fiber: 10.5g
- Protein: 44.9g
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can mild green chiles (or sub 2 seeded and diced jalapenos)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (or chicken breast)
- ¾ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup fresh, chopped cilantro
- For garnish:
- Tortilla strips or chips
- Extra cilantro
- Avocado slices
- Extra lime wedge
- Add olive oil to a large dutch oven or large pot and place over medium high heat. Add onion and green chiles and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Next stir in cumin, chili powder, coriander and dried oregano; allow the spices to cook for 30 seconds, then add in chicken broth, 1 can of drained chickpeas (about 1 1/2 cups chickpeas), uncooked chicken breast and salt and pepper. Simmer on medium low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and shred with two forks. Next add in fresh lime juice and cilantro.
- Finally, add the remaining can of rinsed and drained chickpeas (1 1/2 cups chickpeas) and ½ cup water (or broth) to a blender. Blend until somewhat smooth, adding a little more water if necessary. Pour blended chickpeas into soup pot and stir. Allow soup to cook and simmer for 5-10 more minutes. Serve with tortilla chips, an extra lime wedge and avocado if you’d like. Serves 4. Enjoy!
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eat
PIN THIS WHITE CHICKEN CHILI: