Healthy white chicken chili that’s easy and dairy free. Made with green chile, chicken, corn and blended chickpeas to make it creamy. A new family favorite recipe! Serve with avocado, tortilla chips and cilantro.
Not only do I have plenty of soups coming to you this month to kick off the New Year, but I also happen to have tons of options for keeping them dairy free, gluten free AND making them in the slow cooker. I don’t do the Whole30 thing but please know that my recipes are highly adaptable, so let me know if you have any questions!
In the meantime, can we talk about how delicious this white chicken chili is? Typically, white chicken chili is made with white beans, however, I happen to love the flavor and texture of chickpeas much more so I chose to use them in this version and dang… it turned out DELICIOUS.
To create a ‘creamy’ thickness to the chili, I decided to blend one can of the chickpeas then add it back to the pot with another can of chickpeas and the rest of the ingredients: green chiles, onion, broth, chicken, corn, lime juice, cilantro. It created a thick, creamy texture and flavor that I couldn’t stop slurping down.
Curious about how to make this recipe in the slow cooker? It’s easy! Instead of using shredded, cooked chicken, you’ll use 1 1/2 pounds of raw boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs. After step 1, simply add all ingredients except the lime juice and cilantro to your slow cooker. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6-7 hours. Remove chicken and shred, then add back to the slow cooker and stir in lime juice and cilantro. That’s it!
I mean seriously, what could be better than a warm cozy bowl of chicken chili piled with avocado, tortilla chips, cilantro, and even, jalapenos if you’re feeling spicyyyyy (aka me errrday).
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram and I’ll love you even more if you leave a comment below and rate the recipe. Happy New Year!
Looking for more healthy chili recipes? Here are some more favorites:
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 443
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrates: 44.3g
- Sugar: 3.2g
- Fiber: 10.5g
- Protein: 44.9g
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 can mild green chiles (or sub 2 seeded and diced jalapenos)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¾ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast (can also used shredded rotisserie chicken)
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup fresh, chopped cilantro
- For garnish:
- Tortilla strips or chips
- Extra cilantro
- Avocado slices
- Extra lime wedge
- Start by adding 1 ½ cups of the rinsed and drained chickpeas (from one of the cans) and ½ cup water to a blender. Blend until somewhat smooth, adding a little more water if necessary.
- Add olive oil to a large dutch oven or large pot and place over medium high heat. Add onion and green chiles and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Next stir in cumin, chili powder, coriander and dried oregano; allow the spices to cook for 30 seconds, then add in chicken broth, blended chickpeas, remaining whole chickpeas and salt and pepper. Simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, stir in the shredded chicken breast, corn, fresh lime juice and cilantro. Allow to cook for 5-10 more minutes. Serve with tortilla chips, an extra lime wedge and avocado if you’d like. Serves 4. Enjoy!
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eat
PIN THIS WHITE CHICKEN CHILI: