The best healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe loaded with fire-roasted tomatoes, tender chicken and savory spices. This easy recipe is perfect for meal prep or family dinner and can easily be made on the stovetop too. Top with avocado, cheese, sour cream and crispy tortilla chips! This recipe is sponsored by BUSH’S® Beans.
If all goes well, it’ll be the last few weeks of of soup season… but don’t you worry, I AM HERE FOR YOU.
After all, who doesn’t love a good chicken tortilla soup? Especially when it simmers away in your slow cooker while you work, do chores or run errands. The flavors meld and infuse together for hours without you having to do any work.
There’s a restaurant here in Chicago that serves the absolutely best slow cooker chicken tortilla soup I’ve ever had. I can’t help but love how authentic and rich the broth is.
My version is a bit of a shortcut as we aren’t using dried ancho chiles and it’s made in the slow cooker; however you’ll have to trust that you’re still going to love it.
What do you need to make chicken tortilla soup?
Here are the ingredients I used in this recipe for chicken tortilla soup:
Chicken: I prefer boneless skinless chicken thighs because they give the soup more flavor and stay nice a juicy. You can also use bone-in chicken thighs, you’ll just need to get rid of the bones when shredding the chicken. Also, it’s worth noting that I like to brown my chicken in the skillet first to add a nice flavor, but if you’re short on time, this isn’t an absolutely necessary step.
Onion + Garlic: essential to any soup. That is all.
Black beans: I used BUSH’S® Black Beans in this recipe because they’re delicious and high quality with 6g of protein and 4g of fiber per serving. The black beans also add a wonderful texture to the chicken tortilla soup.
Fire-roasted crushed tomatoes: personally, I prefer good quality fire-roasted tomatoes because they’re much more flavorful. I also recommend using canned crushed tomatoes vs diced.
Sweet corn: feel free to use canned or frozen sweet corn.
Low-sodium chicken broth: I love using a low-sodium chicken broth because then you can control the sodium. Everyone’s salt preferences are different.
Spices: I used a variety of spices in this recipe including ancho chili powder (or you can use regular or chipotle if you want it a little spicer), cumin, oregano, paprika and cayenne.
How to make chicken tortilla soup on the stovetop:
If you prefer to make this recipe on the stovetop, simply brown the chicken, onions and garlic, then slowly add in broth, crushed tomatoes, black beans, corn, spices and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes. Remove chicken, shred, then add back to pot. Serve with all the fixin’s.
I know you’re going to love how easy and simple this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is. Check out the video on how to make it below — and don’t forget the fixin’s.
SEE HOW TO MAKE THE SOUP:
More healthy slow cooker recipes to try:
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 374
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Carbohydrates: 40.4g
- Sugar: 8.4g
- Fiber: 8.4g
- Protein: 33.7g
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced (or sub 1 can mild green chiles)
- 1 (28 ounce) can fire roasted crushed tomatoes (regular crushed tomatoes will also be fine)
- 1 (15 ounce) can BUSH’S® Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth*
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder (or use regular chili powder)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small limes, juiced
- To garnish:
- Tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips
- 1 large diced avocado
- Sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- Shredded monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- Diced Green onion
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and place over medium high heat. Add in chicken thighs, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and brown on each side; about for 2 minutes per side. You don’t need to cook them all the way, we’re just adding a little flavor to them. Transfer them to the bowl of a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Next add onions, jalapeño and garlic to the hot pan and saute for 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent, scraping up any brown bits as you go. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Next add remaining ingredients to the slow cooker: crushed tomatoes, black beans, sweet corn, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir to combine all ingredients. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours. Once done, remove chicken with a slotted spoon and shred with two forks. Add back to slow cooker, then add juice from 2 small limes and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary, you may need to add more salt.
- Once ready to serve, ladle into bowls and top with tortilla strips or chips, diced avocado, sour cream/greek yogurt, cheese, cilantro and a little green onion. The toppings really make this soup delicious! Serves 4-6. Enjoy!
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by Eat Love Eat
This recipe is in partnership with BUSH’S® Beans. All recipes, text, and opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting AK and the brands that make this site possible.
Pin this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup recipe: