Creamy Tart Cherry Smoothie Bowl with good fats and a boost of protein for a delicious post workout breakfast or snack that’s perfect for refueling and recovering after a workout. Tastes like cherry pie ice cream! This recipe is in partnership with Montmorency Tart Cherries.
It’s been such a long time since I’ve made something related to ‘post-workout’ on the blog. Last year, I just couldn’t get into a routine that felt right for me. Honestly I attribute it to being completely burnt out after six months of wedding planning practically on my own. Because of that, exercise just became less of a priority for me. In 2018, I spent more time sleeping, walking, on bike rides during the summer (I miss the Chicago summer), took more time developing a self-care routine that really worked for me and just enjoyed the little moments life gave me.
This year, I’ve gotten back into working out and doing the workouts I know and love (mostly high-intensity weight training + yoga). I’m feeling confident, stronger than ever and motivated again.
Before we get to the smoothie bowl, I want to mention that it’s easy to feel pressured to do certain workouts (running, cycling, crossfit, pilates, yoga, etc.) but the important thing is to find something that makes YOU feel good and that you’ll want to come back to again and again. That’s what makes it sustainable. Remember, we’re all different. Just like we have different taste buds, our personalities also have different preferences when it comes to exercise. It’s also okay to take time to discover what’s right for you. Don’t be afraid to try something new.
Now it’s time to talk about this deliciously simple tart cherry smoothie bowl that’s perfect for recovering and refueling after a workout. It’s made with Montmorency tart cherries, which studies show may help with muscle recovery, inflammation, sleep (they naturally have melatonin) and heart health.
Montmorency Tart Cherries sent me a box of trending ingredients for a fun “Mystery Challenge,” where I selected two ingredients from the mystery box to create a delicious, tart cherry recipe.
Here’s what I got in my mystery box:
- Different forms of Montmorency tart cherries (juice, concentrate, dried, canned in water and frozen)
- Oat Milk
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
I immediately opted for the frozen cherries + unsweetened coconut to make this gorgeous smoothie bowl. This tart cherry bowl includes a mix of tart cherries, nut butter for healthy fats, your favorite protein powder and dairy free milk of choice. You can also add a tablespoon of cacao powder if you’d like a boost of iron.
Simply blend it up, pour into a bowl, top with your favorite things such as mini chocolate chips, coconut flakes, chia seeds, granola and extra nut butter. FYI: smoothie bowls are supposed to be a bit thicker, like a soft serve ice cream. I find it’s best to use a high-powered blender if you have one, but I think a food processor would also work well.
I hope you LOVE this amazing tart cherry smoothie bowl. I swear it tastes like a mix between cherry pie and cherry ice cream. If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe below. You can also upload a pic and tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram!
SEE HOW TO MAKE THE TART CHERRY SMOOTHIE BOWL:
- Serves: 1
- Serving size: 1 smoothie bowl (without toppings)
- Calories: 302
- Fat: 10.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.0g
- Carbohydrates: 33.1g
- Sugar: 26.5g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Protein: 24.8g
- For the smoothie bowl:
- 2 cups frozen Montmorency tart cherries
- 3/4 cup dairy free milk of choice (almond, coconut or oat milk), plus more to thin if necessary
- 1 scoop your favorite protein powder (I like collagen peptides or plant based protein powder)
- 1 tablespoons natural nut butter of choice (I love peanut, cashew or almond butter)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon cacao powder for a boost of iron
- For the optional toppings:
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- Drizzle of drippy nut butter
- Granola if you’re feeling fancy
- A few extra frozen tart cherries or dried tart cherries if you have some on hand!
- To make the smoothie bowl: add tart cherries, milk, protein powder, nut butter, and optional cacao powder to a high-speed blender. Blend on high until ingredients are well combined. You may need to add more milk, but since this is a smoothie bowl, we want it pretty thick. I think ¾ cup is perfect.
- Pour into a bowl and top with coconut flakes, chocolate chips, chia seeds and a few tart cherries. Enjoy! Serves 1.
This post is in partnership with Montmorency Tart Cherries. All recipes, text and opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting AK and the brands who help make this site possible!
Pin this tart cherry smoothie bowl: