Okay yes, I’ve been on a major smoothie kick these days because the sun is shining, the produce is fabulous and this mama wants to feel like she’s sippin’ piña coladas on the beach.
A tropical, refreshing pineapple kale smoothie while I wear Viggo and attempt to fold laundry at the same time will just have to do.
This smoothie packs tons of veggies from kale, is perfectly sweet and has that luxurious beach vacation flavor thanks to the pineapple and coconut milk. Don’t take my word for it, blend it up and enjoy for a wonderful breakfast or snack wherever you are.
Sign up for our FREE 7-Day Smoothie Challenge
Reminder: if you haven’t signed up for our FREE smoothie challenge, now is your chance! You can start it at any time and will get:
- Our FREE downloadable smoothie e-book
- A grocery list with everything you need for making a smoothie a day
- My best tips & tricks for making incredible, healthy smoothies
- And more!
Get all of the deets and sign up here!
Everything you’ll need to make the best kale pineapple smoothie
This vegan kale pineapple smoothie is made with just 5 simple ingredients, plus a little optional add-in to make it even more nutritious. Here’s everything you’ll need to make it:
- Kale: truly the best way to get your greens in is to drink them in a smoothie! You won’t be able to taste the kale at all, but it gives the smoothie a wonderful boost of antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin K and more. Plus, look at that gorgeous green color.
- Frozen pineapple: for natural sweetness and a delicious, tropical flavor.
- Frozen banana: using a super ripe, frozen banana gives the smoothie additional sweetness and makes it taste amazing.
- Coconut milk: um hello, piña colada vibes! Light coconut milk (from the can) makes this smoothie so creamy and delicious while adding healthy fats.
- Chia seeds: for a little boost of healthy fats and omega-3s.
- Fresh ginger: this is optional, but I love adding in a hunk of fresh peeled ginger because it’s great for digestion and soothing your tummy.
Use what you have on hand
Out of a few of these ingredients? No worries! Here’s what I recommend swapping in this kale smoothie that will still make it delicious:
- For the kale: feel free to use the same amount of fresh spinach.
- For the pineapple: frozen mango would be perfect in here.
- For the coconut milk: I really do love the delicious flavor and creaminess the coconut milk gives this smoothie, but you can use any milk (dairy free or non) you’d like.
- For the chia: feel free to omit or add some flaxseed meal! More on nutritional boosters below.
Can I make it without banana?
I know some people like to avoid making smoothies with bananas, so you could either add more pineapple to this kale smoothie or try blending in 2-3 large Medjool dates that have been soaked and softened. Let me know how it goes in the comments!
Turn up the nutrition in this pineapple kale smoothie
With just five simple ingredients, this kale pineapple smoothie is the perfect base for adding your fav nutritional boosters and mix-ins. Here are some of our favs:
- Flaxseed meal: this is one of my favorite ingredients to add to smoothies for a little boost of fiber and minerals, and is especially great for nursing mamas as flaxseed can help increase milk supply. Usually, a tablespoon is plenty! Here’s a brand I love.
- Hemp seeds: feel free to throw a tablespoon of hemp seeds into your smoothie for a boost of healthy fats, omegas and minerals.
- More veggies: looking to get even more veggies in for breakfast? You could also try adding some frozen cauliflower for an extra boost along with the kale — you’ll never be able to taste it!
- Protein: Easily add more protein to a smoothie by adding some greek yogurt or 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder. I recommend Vital Protein collagen peptides or Four Sigmatic Plant-Based Protein Powder.
How to make this kale smoothie perfect every time
I have some key tips and tricks for making the best vegan kale pineapple smoothie that’s creamy, cold and delicious every time:
- Use frozen ingredients. Using frozen fruit & veggies is best as it they help keep the smoothie cold and thick. Sometimes ice doesn’t blend as well, so it’s best to skip unless absolutely necessary.
- Add your greens in batches. If your blender sometimes has trouble blending veggies completely, add your kale in batches so that it gets completely blended in with the fruit.
- Add more liquid. Don’t be afraid to add more liquid if your smoothie is too thick or won’t fully blend. High powered blenders tend to blend frozen fruit much better, so if you have a regular or personal size blender, you may need to add more milk.
- Start on low speed. Start the blender on low speed, then gradually increase to high to help blend all ingredients. Finally, end with the blender on low speed.
Make it ahead of time & enjoy for days
This pineapple kale smoothie can be made ahead of time for busy weeks! Make it as-is or even double it and then try one of my three amazing ways to prep and store smoothies right in your freezer.
Our fav smoothie tools
Check out more of our favorite go-to kitchen essentials here.
More smoothie recipes you’ll love
- Lemon Blueberry Smoothie
- Immune Boosting Wellness Smoothie
- Almond Cherry Smoothie (my favorite smoothie ever!)
- 3-Ingredient Pineapple Mango Smoothie (with a fun boozy option!)
- Good Morning Coffee Lover’s Smoothie
I hope you love this refreshing pineapple kale smoothie recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Refreshing Pineapple Kale Smoothie
Refreshing pineapple kale smoothie made with five simple ingredients for a wonderful, easy breakfast or snack. Creamy coconut milk gives this vegan pineapple kale smoothie a delicious, tropical flavor you'll love. Add your fav nutritional boosters, mix-ins or toppings!
- 2 cups loosely packed kale, stems removed (or sub spinach)
- 1 heaping cup frozen pineapple
- 1 large frozen ripe banana
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk from the can (or sub whatever milk you’d like), plus more to thin if necessary
- 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ inch hunk fresh peeled ginger, optional
- In a large high-powered blender, add in all ingredients and blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until all ingredients are well combined. If necessary, add in more milk to thin the smoothie and blend again. Serves 1.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats