Pumpkin chicken chili with black beans and quinoa! A protein packed delicious dinner that can be made in your slow cooker.
Pumpkin week recipe #2 is here and it’s a savory one! I’m writing this while we’re driving back into the city after a long weekend of wedding planning. It’s raining out, No Doubt is blasting and one of our windshield wipers isn’t working correctly.
Secretly I’m hoping it will continue raining for next few days so I can cozy up under a blanket, take a bath every night while chilling out to my Spotify playlists, followed by a big bowl of chili with sweet cornbread on the side.
Chili is something I’ve loved to make for years. Sometimes I refer to a big bowl of chili as ‘therapeutic chili’ because it simmers away on the stovetop (or slow cooker), filling your home with coziness that warms you from the inside out.
Everything’s better on a rainy fall night with a warm bowl of your favorite chili. I know you agree.
This pumpkin chicken chili is crazy good. You wouldn’t think that adding pumpkin puree to chili would work well, but I’ve found that it adds a unique creaminess and sweetness that offsets the spicy chili flavors perfectly.
I also added quinoa and black beans for both nutrition and texture. The quinoa helps to thicken the chili, but not overly so. All I know is that it’s worth making and enjoying with a side of pumpkin cornbread.
Of course like most chili, this one is freezer friendly! Or you can make it for meal prep for the week. Whatever your heart desires.
Enjoy a big nutritious bowl for me. If you make this recipe, let me know by leaving a comment below and rating the recipe! Or you can follow me on Instagram and tag #ambitiouskitchen so I can see what you’ve made. ❤️ xo!
Pin this recipe!
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 320
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrates: 41.8g
- Sugar: 9.2g
- Fiber: 10.8g
- Protein: 31.5g
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water (or low sodium chicken broth)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- ¾ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (can also use chicken breast)
- Place olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add in garlic, onion, jalapeno and red bell pepper; stir and saute for 2 minutes or until onions begin to soften, then transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker: crushed tomatoes, water (or broth), pumpkin puree, black beans, quinoa salt, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. Stir until well combined, then add chicken. Cover and cook for 6-7 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high. Once done cooking, remove chicken with a slotted spoon and shred with two forks, then transfer shredded chicken back to slow cooker. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Distribute into bowls (or do a meal prep) and top with fixin's such as cilantro, greek yogurt and cheddar cheese. (It's really, really good with a sharp or white cheddar!). Makes 6 servings. Double the recipe for a crowd!