Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala is a lightened up comforting Indian dish made with tomato sauce, chicken breast, coconut milk and various flavorful, bold spices. Serve with brown rice or naan for a full meal!
Oh hi, it’s me! I’ve come back alive after cookie week recipes from last week. Did you guys happen to make any over the weekend? I’d love to hear!
Since I’ve been posting a lot of treats lately, I thought we’d slow it down with this beautiful slow cooker chicken tikka masala. If you’ve never had tikka masala before you’re in for a delightful surprise. And if you have, then you know how lip-smacking good this dish can be!
Today’s recipe is in partnership with Mutti tomatoes, Italy’s #1 canned tomato company that produces absolutely flavorful sauces, purees, and pastes. The first time I tried Mutti’s tomato puree (or as they call it Passata), I was shocked with delight. The tomato puree was silky smooth, sweet and didn’t have any tin-like flavor you get with other canned tomato sauces. The color of the tomato puree was bold and one of the freshest I’ve ever tried. I knew it was the perfect opportunity for me to create a rich and gorgeous chicken tikka masala.
Tikka Masala is a popular Indian dish that’s typically made with heavy cream and butter. I’ve lightened up this version so that it’s just as tasty, but lighter in calories, so you can save room for pita bread or naan just for soaking up the creamy coconut milk tomato sauce.
A few things to know about this recipe:
It can be spicy: so if you are sensitive to spice you can leave out the cayenne pepper.
This recipe contains a variety of spices: Garam masala can sometimes be difficult to find, so head to a local spice shop! Whole Foods also carries it. Please do not omit from the recipe, it is crucial for flavor!
Best served with glorious bread: This recipe is absolutely to die for when served with a pita bread or naan for soaking up the sauce.
This incredible meal needs to happen in your slow cooker ASAP. It’s easy to make, bold and something different to try. A little spicy, a little sweet and hella delicious. Hope you get a chance to try it out. xo!
Pin this recipe:
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1/4th of recipe
- Calories: 278
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Carbohydrates: 22.2g
- Sugar: 9.5g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 26.2g
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 jar (24.5oz) Mutti tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- Additional salt, to taste
- For garnish: greek yogurt & cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in onion, jalapeno, garlic, and ginger; saute for about 5 minutes or until onions are slightly golden and translucent. Transfer to a large slow cooker. Add in tomato puree, lemon juice, garam masala, paprika, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and curry powder; stirring to combine. Add chicken breasts and spoon sauce over the chicken to make sure they are covered. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
- Once cooked, remove chicken with a slotted spoon and transfer to a cutting board. Shred the chicken with two forks, then transfer back to the slow cooker. Stir in coconut milk and allow to cook on high UNCOVERED for 15-20 more minutes to help thicken the sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary, including adding more salt, if desired.
- Serve with brown rice, pita bread/naan or enjoy as is. Garnish with plain greek yogurt and chopped cilantro.
This post is in partnership with Mutti. The opinions and text are all mine. Thanks for continuing to support AK and the brands that help make this site possible! Be sure to follow Mutti on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.