Butternut Squash Green Chile Chicken Soup
Warming butternut squash green chile chicken soup packed with protein, veggies and wonderful flavors. This cozy, fall-inspired green chile chicken soup comes together in one pot and is perfect for a cold night. Add an extra boost of protein or spice if you’d like!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
The temps are getting colder and I’ve got a beautiful soup for you that was inspired by my Grandmother Gloria. If you’ve been reading AK for a while, you know that my Grandma is one special lady. And she’s feisty too! Story time: a few years ago my Grandma was in a hit-and-run car accident. She was okay but unfortunately, her car had a few thousand dollars worth of damage.
BUT this is where the story gets good: instead of reporting the hit and run to the police, she got back in her car and chased him down so she could get his information. As in, she literally cut him off the road so that she could get his insurance info. By the way, she’s 82 years old.
I told you she was feisty.
Sharing that story and this butternut squash green chile chicken soup together makes the most sense because it’s both fiery and comforting at the same time (kind of like Gloria). My Grandma shared this recipe with me a year ago, and I made a few changes to adapt to where I live and what’s available this time of year. If you’ve had my green chile chicken pozole, also inspired by Gloria, you’re going to LOVE this fall take!
Butternut squash green chile chicken soup ingredients
This cozy butternut squash green chile chicken soup is filled with nourishing ingredients and warming flavors that are perfect for colder months. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Produce: this veggie-packed soup has butternut squash, green bell pepper, an onion, and corn all simmered together. We’re also adding fresh cilantro, garlic and a squeeze of fresh lime juice for brightness. Learn exactly how to cube your butternut squash with this tutorial!
- Green chiles: you’ll also need a can of mild green chiles to give it a wonderful, unique flavor.
- Herbs & spices: all of those cozy flavors come from ground cumin & oregano. You’ll also need plenty of salt & pepper to season the soup.
- Chicken: this soup packs plenty of protein thanks to boneless skinless chicken thighs that cook right in the broth.
- Broth: you’ll also need some low sodium chicken broth to cook the soup.
Simple ingredient swaps
This butternut squash green chile chicken soup is very easy to customize with produce and other ingredients you have on hand. Here’s what I can recommend:
- Choose your produce. My grandma Gloria typically makes the soup with fresh cubed pumpkin and a Hatch green chile, which are both fantastic! When I originally made this soup I simply didn’t have either of those things, so I opted to use butternut squash and canned green chile.
- Go vegetarian. Feel free to omit the chicken and add a can of chickpeas instead. Then be sure to use low sodium vegetable broth.
- Add more heat. This soup already has a little heat, but feel free to use regular green chiles instead of mild ones if you love spice!
- Mix in a grain. I think adding 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa would also be delicious and add wonderful heartiness. Just add it when you stir in the chicken, corn and broth.
- Keep it paleo. Simply omit the corn to keep the soup paleo-friendly.
Green chile chicken soup in 4 easy steps
- Saute your veggies. You’ll start by cooking down the garlic, onion, green pepper & cilantro in a large pot with some olive oil.
- Add the squash & spices. Once the onions are translucent, stir in the cubed butternut squash, green chiles, cumin & oregano.
- Chicken time. Next, add in the chicken broth and chicken thighs, along with the corn, salt, pepper & lime juice. Bring it all to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer it.
- Shred & serve. Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the pot and shred it with two forks. Get our best tips for shredding chicken here! Then add it back to the soup, taste and adjust your seasonings, and serve.
How to store & freeze this soup
- To store: store this butternut squash green chile chicken soup in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. Feel free to reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop!
- To freeze: let the soup completely cool and then transfer it to a freezer-safe container (or multiple containers for meal prep purposes). Freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, first let the soup thaw in the refrigerator, then heat the soup in the microwave or on the stovetop.
See how to make the green chile chicken soup
More healthy soup recipes to try
- The Best Chicken Soup You’ll Ever Eat
- Healing Curry Butternut Squash Lentil Soup (with a slow cooker option!)
- The Best Minestrone Soup
- Classic French Onion Soup
- Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup (whole 30, dairy free)
Get all of our delicious soup recipes here!
I hope you love this butternut squash green chile chicken soup. Best served with saltine crackers and a smile. If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. P.S. thanks grandma for the recipe inspiration. I love you!
Butternut Squash Green Chile Chicken Soup
Warming butternut squash green chile chicken soup packed with protein, veggies and wonderful flavors. This cozy, fall-inspired green chile chicken soup comes together in one pot and is perfect for a cold night. Add an extra boost of protein or spice if you'd like!
- ½ tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced very small
- ¼ cup diced cilantro
- 1 (4 ounce) can of mild green chiles (or use 1/4 cup freshly roasted and seeded chopped hatch green chile)
- 4-6 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups (32 ounces) organic low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 (15 ounce) can organic corn, drained (leave out if paleo)
- 1 small lime, juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt + more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place a large dutch oven or pot over medium high heat and add in oil. Once oil is hot, add in garlic, onion, green pepper and cilantro; cook for a few minutes until onion becomes translucent.
Next immediately add in your green chiles, butternut squash, cumin and oregano. Saute for a few more minute to let the spices cook a bit, then add in chicken broth, chicken thighs, corn, salt and pepper and lime juice.
Bring soup to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes until chicken is fully cooked and no longer pink.
Once chicken is cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a cutting board to shred with two forks. Add chicken back to pot, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serves 4.
If you want to make this soup a little more hearty, I think 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa would be delicious. Just add it when you add the chicken/corn/broth in.
Feel free to leave the corn out to keep this soup paleo.
This post was originally published on January 1, 2018, and republished on October 22, 2021.
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Join the AK email list and get my brand new, FREE Simple & Nourishing 7-day Meal Plan delivered to your inbox.