It’s Halloween! If you’re #adulting like me, then you most likely are just hanging out at home and eating Reese’s peanut butter cups straight from the fridge. Don’t forget I have TWO DIY versions for you to try: homemade peanut butter cups + 4 ingredient peanut butter eggs. SO GOOD.
I don’t know if you saw on Instagram but a few days ago we had the MOST epic Friendsgiving. Abra and I made around 10 total dishes which were absolutely delicious, healthy and ready to make your Thanksgiving the BEST EVER. So, get ready for all the goodness coming to your inboxes over the next few weeks!
Don’t worry though, I won’t neglect you when it comes to non-Thanksgiving food. Today we’ve got a delicious comforting bowl of chicken lentil soup perfect for simmering away on the stove top and devoured with your favorite crackers crushed on top.
COME ON DON’T ACT LIKE YOU DON’T LOVE THE SALTINES.
What are the ingredients in this chicken lentil soup?
Listen up, because this is the kind of soup you can make with minimal ingredients, yet it boasts so much flavor. When I initially made this soup, I hadn’t grocery shopped in a week and needed to use up whatever was lurking in my fridge…
Carrots! Leftover chicken! Chicken broth! Fresh ginger! Cilantro! Chopped onion!
As I peeked in the pantry, I knew that this soup might be even more delicious than what I hoped for. I found:
Light coconut milk! Garlic! Lentils! Turmeric, cumin, cayenne!
The soup simmered away for about 45 minutes before I snapped a video to put on Instagram Stories. Many of you asked (demanded haha) for the recipe, and for good reason too. It’s beautiful, incredibly flavorful, protein and fiber packed, comforting and full of healthy goodness.
The turmeric, garlic, cumin and fresh ginger add a delightful fresh flavor to the dish. The coconut milk brings just the right amount of richness. What else? This soup is incredibly FILLING!
See how to make the chicken lentil soup:
I loved making this for a wonderful weeknight meal, then reheating for lunches. I hope you love this as much as I do! Have a wonderful rest of your week. Don’t forget to leave a comment and rate the recipe if you make it xo.
More healthy soup recipes to try:
Golden Coconut Chicken Lentil Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can light coconut milk
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed well
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast* (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For garnish: fresh chopped cilantro
- Add olive oil to a large pot and place over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add in garlic, onion and carrots; saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then stir in ginger, turmeric, cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Allow spices to cook with the carrots and onions for 30 seconds then add in chicken broth, coconut milk, lentils, shredded chicken, salt and black pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes until lentils are cooked and soup thickens. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Pour into bowls, or individual containers for meal prep. Soup is wonderful when garnished with cilantro. Serves 4.
*If you don't have pre-cooked shredded chicken breast, simply bake 3/4 pound chicken breast on a greased baking sheet at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes, then shred with two forks and add to soup.
TO MAKE VEGAN: Use 1 can of chickpeas instead of chicken and also be sure to use vegetarian broth.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen Photography by: Yoga of Cooking