Slow Cooker Taco Lentil Soup that’s both vegan and gluten free. You’ll love this easy meal packed with plant-based protein!
Currently writing to you from Detroit! I’ve been here since Friday hanging with my bestie Sarah while we bake, photograph, shop, drink Kombucha beer and jam out to Christmas music. I leave later today to get back into the groove of being at home for a while, working and recovering from turkey overload.
’Tis the season for Mariah Carey Christmas music on repeat while I sit in my pajamas and refuse to leave the house (besides grocery shopping and hitting up the gym).
Lately I’ve had to dial my workouts back to the crack of dawn due to a busy holiday schedule. Testing holiday cookies and slow cooker soups consumed my days last week and I find little time to get outside. And somehow my birthday is in less than a month. Life is really in full swing, isn’t it? Are you feeling it too? Tell me!
What I’m craving right now is a SLOW DAY. A day where I sip coffee until 10am, read a book, watch a show and wear wool socks that don’t match. I haven’t had one of those in a while and this taco lentil soup is reeling me in. You too? Oh good!
We can have a slow day together, hibernating in our respective homes with a cup of hot cocoa. Speaking of new books, what are you guys reading lately? Any good ones you want to share?
Okay now let’s talk about this goodness simmering up because this taco lentil soup has quickly become one of my favorite things I’ve made this fall. The homemade taco spices married with fiber-packed lentils and black beans give the soup incredible flavor like you wouldn’t believe. It’s like eating a taco without the meat!
One of my favorite things to do is top it with Go Veggie Cheddar Shreds (to keep it vegan!) and dip a few of my favorite tortilla chips in.
Nutrition wise, this soup is insane. Plant based protein takes this soup to nearly 35g per hearty bowl, to keep you full and content well past the lunch hour.
Another thing I love about this cozy lentil taco soup is that it’s freezer friendly. Make a big batch, then freeze half for lunches later this Winter. Meal prep like a boss!
Pin this recipe:
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram so I can see your creations. xo!
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1/4th of recipe + 2 tablespoons of cheese
- Calories: 458
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 77.9g
- Sugar: 10.8g
- Fiber: 20g
- Protein: 37.4g
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetarian broth
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like a little heat!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen organic corn
- For topping: 1/2 cup Go Veggie Cheddar Shreds
- To garnish: Diced cilantro, sliced jalapeno, tortilla strips/chips
- Place a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add in olive oil, garlic, bell pepper, onion and jalapeño; sauté for 5 minutes or until onions begin to brown and soften. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add in the remaining ingredients (except for the corn) to the slow cooker: lentils, crushed tomatoes, vegetarian broth, black beans and spices. Stir ingredients together to combine, then cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low. 20 minutes before serving, stir in frozen corn.
- Once soup is done, distribute into bowls (or do a meal prep) and top each with two tablespoons of Go Veggie cheese. Garnish with with extra fixin's such as cilantro and jalapeno. Makes 4 servings. Double the recipe for a crowd!
Recipe by: Monique Volz | Photography by: Sarah Fennel
This recipe is in partnership with Go Veggie! All recipes, opinions and text are my own. Thanks for continuing to support AK and the brands that help make this site possible!