Welcome to Ambitious Kitchen’s Cookie Week 2016. I’m going to lay the frosting on thick, brown the butter like no other motha and blow ya minds with these dank ass cookies. Yep that’s right, every day this week there will be a new, delicious cookie recipe complete with a recipe video.
GUYS I’ve been LOVING doing recipe videos because they make the recipes seem super easy, visual and achievable. I want you to be able to make these recipes with success and I’m confident the videos will help get you there.
To kick off cookie week, I made you these delectably soft almond flour sugar cookies that just so happen to be both paleo and gluten free.
But wait! Don’t let the paleo/gf label defer you; these are some of the BEST sugar cookies I’ve ever had. The texture and flavor are incredibly similar to that of the real cookies you buy at the store. Soft, chewy, slightly cakey and a hint of almond flavor.
Can I get a YUM?
There are a few tricks to ensuring your cookies come out fabulous:
Make sure you pack your almond flour: Pack it just like you would with brown sugar!
Make sure you measure your coconut oil when it is melted. This is the best way to measure it. Also make sure that your coconut oil is NOT hot when you make the cookies. You need it to be melted and cooled so that you don’t end up cooking the egg.
Let the dough sit for 5 minutes. The coconut oil will need to absorb some of the liquid, so my best advice is to let the dough sit at room temperature.
More gluten free dessert recipes you’ll love:
See how to make the almond flour sugar cookies:
If you make this, be sure to leave a comment below, or upload a photo and tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram.
Soft Almond Flour Sugar Cookies with Vanilla Buttercream
- 1/3 cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar (regular sugar or coconut sugar will also work)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups packed fine almond flour (do not use almond meal)
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla Buttercream (optional):
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor, add in coconut oil, sugar, honey, egg, vanilla and almond extract. Process for 20-30 seconds until well combined.
Next, add in almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Process until a dough forms. Allow dough to sit for 5 minutes. You can also mix by hand or use an electric mixer, but I find the food processor to be the easiest!
- Next use your hands to roll dough into golf sized balls. Place on prepared cookie sheet then flatten each dough ball with the palm of your hand or use the bottom of a glass to flatten.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer to a wire rack and allow cookies to cool completely before frosting. Makes about 15 cookies.
- For the frosting: Beat butter, powdered sugar and vanilla on high until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Frost each cookie then decorate however your heart desires.
Nutrition information for 1 cookie with vanilla buttercream: 189 calories | 14g fat | 14.9g carb 1.7g fiber | 11.8g sugar | 3g protein
Recipe by: Monique Volz | Photography by: Sarah Fennel