Hello beauties! I’m back from trip to LA and am feeling more inspired than ever. Don’t worry, I’m doing a recap ASAP, but in the meantime I’ve got a little something special for you.
MY FAV SKIN CARE PRODUCTS + my morning skincare routine.
For years, many readers have asked me about my skincare routine and what I do to get such glowy skin. ✨ While I don’t believe in one magic solution, I practice a few things that I think make a big difference:
1) Hydrate yourself (duh). Water is essential to maintaining skin that’s soft and supple. Tip: I love drinking water with a proper ph level for your body. The optimal water is 9.5. You can buy ph strips and test your tap or filtered water at home to see where yours is at. Drink a full glass of water every two hours during the day.
2) Wear minimal makeup. If you find that your skin is acting up, or if you generally have a lot of acne, rethink your makeup. It’s probably one of the biggest things to change, but keeping clean skin helps it keep clear. And if you can clear up your skin, you likely won’t need to wear as much makeup anyway. Even after a week of wearing makeup every other day, I notice that my skin will get little bumps and I’ll develop a few zits. I realize that wearing makeup is normal for most women, so I suggest leaving it off during the weekends or any downtime you have. The more time your skin has to breathe, the better! Also, you may want to consider switching to a mineral based makeup powder.
3) Food matters. Be sure to eat foods that are high in antioxidants and healthy fats. That doesn’t mean you can’t ever have pizza, but it does mean that choosing a diet higher in plant based foods and veggies yields amazing results. You only have one body so treat is as best you can. And don’t forget to take a multivitamin.
4) Cut the alcohol (and possibly dairy). I love a good cocktail, but if you have skin issues (and dealing with them matter to you), then I suggest trying to cut back on alcohol for a week or two and see if helps. You might also need to do the same for dairy, as it can cause issues in some women. I personally love yogurt (but rarely ever eat cheese or dairy milk).
5) Develop a skincare routine. I started getting into skincare products at a young age. By no means are all of the products I own natural, but I do the best I can and I’m trying to move more that way. I also try to purchase mostly inexpensive or accessible products. Most of the products I try, I get from Whole Foods or Fresh Thyme. I do this because they have a pretty good policy that if you don’t like something, you can bring it back (even if it’s been opened). I also love that they carry mostly natural skincare products and have a variety of options. I have tried every single product on this list and use them for various skin issues.
If you are completely new to developing a skincare routine, here are my suggestions on where to start:
Check out my natural morning skincare routine here:
Shop my favorites:
1. MyChelle Remarkable Retinal Night Cream: LEGIT obsessed with this retinal night cream and honestly I notice a visible difference when I use it. To be honest I’m a HUGE fan of MyChelle products because they’re developed by a dermatologist. All MyChelle products are Vegetarian, Cruelty-free, and Free of Phthalates, Parabens, Sulfates, Ureas, Artificial Fragrances and Colors, Petroleum, GMOs, and Gluten.
2. Beautycounter Purifying Charcoal Mask: I love to use when I’m breaking out. I put it on my zits and sleep with it on or leave it on for an hour while I bop around the house. Tony thinks I’m crazy but whatever.
3. Rosehip Seed Oil: If you aren’t using Rosehip oil, you should be. It’s wonderful for hydrating, but it’s a dry oil so normally it doesn’t cause problems for acne-prone skin. I’ve used this particular brand for YEARS. It’s cold-pressed and organic so I really trust it. I use this after I put on a serum and before I put on a moisturizer. Sometimes I mix it in with my moisturizer too if my skin feels extra dry.
4. Trilogy Make Up Be Gone Cleansing Balm: I LOVE this for taking off my makeup. It’s thicker than coconut oil (which I use sometimes) and doesn’t make your skin feel greasy. It’s also incredibly nourishing thanks to shea butter. And it will last you FOREVER because you only need about 1 teaspoon. Highly recommend!
5. evanhealy Wild Carrot Nourishing Eye Balm: Great for your lips, undereyes or entire face when you need a little extra moisture.
6. Andalou Pumpkin Honey Glycolic Mask: One of my favorite masks of all time. I use this 1x per week and end up with glowy skin. Avalon Organics was the first certified organic personal care line and the company founders successfully lobbied California to legislate organic standards for personal care products.
7. Detroit Rose Glow Clay Mask Duo: I LOVE Detroit Rose so so much and this mask duo is a dream come true. The French Clay mask is both hydrating and refreshing.
8. Pacifica Glow Baby Walnut Scrub: Pacifica is 100% vegan + cruelty-free, and this little scrub is an AMAZING exfoliator. It’s made with rose hips, flax, coconut and walnut shells and leaves my skin feeling so smooth.
9. Derma-e Hydrating Night Cream: I love this super moisturizing night cream with vitamins C & E, and soothing aloe. It’s great for hydrating overnight when your skin needs a little boost!
10. Cocokind Mymatcha All-Over Moisture Stick: this little stick is perfect for traveling and has just three natural ingredients: coconut oil, beeswax, and matcha powder. You can use it for undereye circles, dry lips, and even as a highlighter!
11. Andalou Age Defying Facial Serum: this natural facial serum is one of my favorites to pair with anything. It’s super hydrating, smooths lines, and has SPF 30 to protect your skin year-round.
12. Detroit Rose Aphrodite Face Oil: this magic is a mix of all-natural oils with vitamins A, C & E, and can be used as your daily moisturizer, makeup remover, or mixed into your favorite mask. A little goes a long way and makes my face sooo silky!
13. MyChelle Perfect C PRO Serum: this all-natural vitamin C serum is great for layering under your moisturizer to brighten up your face. It’s vegan & cruelty-free and packed with antioxidants for anti-aging properties.
14. Acure Brightening Face Mask: LEGIT SO OBSESSED WITH THIS. It’s probably my most favorite mask out there. It just feels so amazing on your skin. I use this 1x a week or 1x every two weeks.
15. Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner: I use this every single day after I wash my face. It tightens pores and helps to reduce redness. Absolutely obsessed.
16. MyChelle Remarkable Retinal Eye Cream: Ladies, your eye area is one of the most delicate areas on your face and you must take care of it. This eye cream is amazing and as mentioned above is by one of my favorite skincare brands.
17. Acure Brilliantly Brightening Cleansing Gel: This is my go-to cleanser. It never irritates my skin and helps it feel really clean. Highly recommend.
A note on this blog post:
I’m sharing this blog post because I genuinely love trying out new natural skincare products (what girl doesn’t love a good face mask?!) and because I’ve gotten the question from you for years.
Now I know the subject of BeautyCounter is probably going to come up. I have been sent their products by friends in the past, but to be honest, haven’t found that their products are that much more superior to other natural skincare products out there.
I know everyone is crazy about BeautyCounter, and there are a products few I like, but overall their marketing tactics have really turned me off from the company, even though I know the intention is good. Basically I want to let you know that there are other options out there besides BeautyCounter for natural skincare, some of them even more regulated and ‘clean’. The point is that you have some pretty amazing options out there.
Do your research and don’t let anyone shame you for not using natural skincare all the time either. Do what you can and make choices that are right for you and best for your lifestyle.