Spicy Green Cashew Dip
Incredible spicy green cashew dip made with raw cashews, fresh herbs, and a kick of spice from jalapeño. Serve this easy vegan cashew dip with chips, crackers and raw veggies, or use it as a dressing, sauce, or delicious sandwich spread!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
I had my first experience with a cashew-based sauce a few years ago when Monique made her famous vegan mac & cheese (btw hi, it’s Abra!) Not gonna lie, I was a little skeptical at first. I personally find cashew butter a bit tasteless unless it’s baked in something, so I figured the vegan cashew cheese sauce would have the same effect.
Fast-forward a year and I dream about that creamy, flavorful mac and cheese regularly. So when Monique told me she wanted to make some sort of herby, spicy cashew dip I could hardly contain my excitement.
Thus, this easy, vegan, spicy green cashew dip of my dreams was born.
What’s in this spicy green cashew dip?
This incredible vegan cashew dip is made with 5 super simple ingredients plus water and a little salt & pepper, for good measure. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Raw cashews: these give the sauce its silk, creamy texture after they’re soaked! And its name, of course. I do recommend using completely raw cashews rather than any that have been salted or flavored so that you can control the flavor & level of salt yourself.
- Cilantro: fresh cilantro makes this spicy cashew dip GREEN and adds a delicious freshness to every bite. #teamcilantro
- Jalapeño: we want a nice kick of heat in this spicy green cashew dip — enter one fresh jalapeño. Feel free to keep the seeds in if you like things extra spicy!
- Garlic: I love garlic, you love garlic, we all love garlic. Three cloves of the goods in here.
- Fresh lime juice: this adds just a bit of tang and brings out the freshness of the cilantro and jalapeño. We actually first left it out but found that it was the perfect addition to these flavors.
Spicy cashew dip in 2 simple steps
- Soak your cashews. That’s right, be sure to soak your cashews in warm water for at least 2 hours, or in boiling water for 45 minutes. This will soften the cashews and make sure you get a creamy sauce.
- Blend & serve. Add all of your ingredients, plus the soaked cashews, to a food processor or high powered blender and process until smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides every so often as you go and add more water to thin it out to your liking. Then serve!
Ways to use this spicy green cashew dip
I could probably think of 100 ways to use this deliciously flavorful cashew dip but I’ll cap it at all of the ways I personally tried it:
- As a veggie dip. This recipe makes the perfect vegan dip for your favorite raw veggies and crackers. I tried it with carrots, cucumbers, raw broccoli and raw cauliflower (so adventurous) plus some seedy paleo crackers and it was AMAZING. It would be perfect with our vegan charcuterie board here!
- As a pasta sauce. For reals! If you’ve tried our vegan mac & cheese or even just our vegan cashew cheese sauce you’re going to love this spicy, herby twist. I drizzled it (okay, poured it) on Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi and honestly, I don’t think I can ever put anything on gnocchi ever again. It would be delicious in this pasta salad or other recipes in lieu of pesto!
- As a spread. Okay YUM. Add a scoop to your fav tacos and be sure to include it in your taco bar. It would also be incredible as a hummus-esque spread for your fav sandwich. Jazz up your go-to turkey or pile high on a yummy veggie sandwich.
If it seems like this might be the most versatile vegan cashew dip of your dreams that’s because it is. I truly loved it with everything I tried it on — even just adding a bit to grilled chicken in a little buddha bowl (my go-to). It makes plenty to use throughout the week, and I found myself not needing to buy my weekly tub of plain old hummus.
Also, if it seems like all I did was find things to eat with this green goodness for a whole week IT’S TRUE and I’m not mad.
Storing & freezing tips
- To store: this delicious vegan green cashew dip recipe will stay good in your fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. Enjoy straight from the fridge, or whisk it into warm pasta if you’d like to use it as a sauce!
- To freeze: you can also easily freeze this recipe! Simply add the dip to a freezer-safe container or bag and place it in your freezer. When you’re ready to use it, let the dip thaw in the fridge before using it. You may need to blend it with a bit more water if you’re finding that it’s too thick.
More dips you’ll love
- Creamy Feta Yogurt Dressing (or dip!)
- Vegetarian Three Cheese White Bean Buffalo Dip
- Fresh & Healthy 7-Layer Dip
- Tony’s Ridiculously Easy Homemade Salsa
- Jalapeño Green Tahini Sauce
- The Best Chocolate Hummus
Get all of our delicious dip recipes here!
We hope you love this delicious spicy green cashew dip and find some fun, creative ways to use it! If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and rate the recipe below so others know how you liked it! xo.
Spicy Green Cashew Dip
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed
- 1 jalapeno, stem removed (you can keep the seeds in if you like it nice and spicy!)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (or lemon juice also works!)
- 1/2 cup fresh water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
First, soak the raw cashews in 4 cups of warm water for at least 2 hours, otherwise you can place them in a large bowl, then add 4 cups of boiling water and let the cashews soak in the hot water for approximately 45 minutes to speed up the process.
Once ready to make the sauce, drain the cashews, then add them to a high powered blender along with cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, fresh water, salt and pepper. Blend until a thick sauce comes together, adding more water to thin and salt to taste as necessary. Serve with plantain chips, radishes, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, pita chips, tortilla chips or crackers. Also great as a sandwich spread, on quinoa, as a dressing for a buddha bowl, on top of grilled chicken, stirred into pasta and so much more!
To store: this delicious vegan green cashew dip recipe will stay good in your fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. Enjoy straight from the fridge, or whisk it into warm pasta if you'd like to use it as a sauce!
To freeze: you can also easily freeze this recipe! Simply add the dip to a freezer-safe container or bag and place it in your freezer. When you’re ready to use it, let the dip thaw in the fridge before using it. You may need to blend it with a bit more water if you’re finding that it’s too thick.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Join the AK email list and get my brand new, FREE Simple & Nourishing 7-day Meal Plan delivered to your inbox.