Chaffles (Cheese & Egg Waffles)
Amazing low carb cheese and egg waffles, or “chaffles,” made with two base ingredients. This easy recipe for chaffles takes just 15 minutes to make and is gluten free, vegetarian, keto-friendly and packed with protein! Enjoy chaffles for a delicious breakfast or brunch with your fav toppings and sides.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
They’re cheesy! They’re waffle-y! They’re CHAFFLES!
Have you tried the latest 2-ingredient craze yet? If not, it’s time to get these cheese and egg waffles on your brunch table ASAP. Rebecca made these delicious, savory, low carb chaffles this summer and fell in love. They’re packed with protein and actually make a wonderful post-workout breakfast with all of your favorite toppings.
This easy chaffle recipe is a fun way to serve up protein-packed eggs for kiddos, too, and they’ll love being able to customize them with you.
Speaking of toppings, we dreamed up tons of different flavor combinations for you to try, so be sure to let us know in the comments which ones were your fav! Don’t forget to check out this video of amazing chaffles in action (hello, drizzle of honey) and follow us on Instagram to see more of our fun Reels and quick tutorials.
What are “chaffles?”
Chaffles are simply cheese and eggs cooked in a waffle maker to literally create a cheese and egg waffle! They’re naturally packed with protein, gluten free, grain free, low carb and keto-friendly. Plus, you can easily customize them with your fav cheeses, fillings, toppings and more!
The 2 ingredients you’ll need to make chaffles
These cheese and egg waffles are truly made with just 2 ingredients, plus a little something extra for flavor. I bet you can guess what they are:
- Cheese: we like to use shredded cheddar cheese, but mozzarella or even shredded pepper jack would be delicious!
- Eggs: you’ll need 3 eggs to help hold the chaffle together. Protein party!
- Optional: we love to add chopped scallions for a little extra savory flavor. This is up to you!
Which cheese is best for cheese and egg waffles?
Be sure to use a cheese that melts easily like cheddar, pepper jack, Monterey jack, mozzarella, etc. Harder cheeses like parmesan don’t melt as easily, but you can combine them with a melty cheese! I also suggest using more finely shredded cheese so that the cheese and egg waffle cooks evenly.
Easy, low carb chaffles in 3 simple steps
- Prep your waffle iron. Feel free to use a regular or mini waffle iron and heat it to medium high heat.
- Combine the chaffle mixture. Whisk together the eggs and cheese, plus any add-ins you’d like (such as scallions in this recipe).
- Cook your chaffles. Pour the mixture into your waffle iron and cook for about 5 minutes until the egg is fully cooked. Repeat until you’ve used up all the “batter,” then top and serve!
Spice them up with fun flavors
Because chaffles are literally just made with cheese and eggs, you can easily customize them with fun flavors! Here are some of our favs to try:
- Garlic parmesan: use 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, then add about a teaspoon of garlic powder. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- Taco flavored: add a teaspoon of taco seasoning and use a shredded Mexican blend of cheese. Serve with homemade salsa, avocado and fresh chopped cilantro on top.
- Everything bagel: add a tablespoon of everything bagel seasoning and serve with cream cheese on top!
- Pizza chaffles: add a teaspoon of Italian seasoning, a dash of garlic powder and chopped up pepperoni. Top with your fav pizza sauce and more pepperoni.
- Broccoli cheddar: add some finely chopped, cooked broccoli and use shredded cheddar cheese.
- Jalapeño popper: add in seeded, diced jalapeño, 1-2 tablespoons of cream cheese and cooked chopped bacon.
Looking for a sweet option?
Yes, you can make sweet chaffles! I suggest using a neutral cheese like mozzarella, then add about a tablespoon of sweetener like sugar or maple syrup. Then feel free to add things like mini chocolate chips, a sprinkle of cinnamon, or a swirl of jam and top with fruit, maple syrup, whipped cream and more!
More ways to serve chaffles
These easy cheese and egg waffles are the perfect base for your fav toppings, and can even be used as sandwich bread (OMG YES):
- Add a pat of butter, drizzle with honey (or better yet, hot honey) and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- Make a chaffle breakfast sandwich with scrambled or fried eggs, bacon, arugula, tomato & avocado.
- Sausage, egg & cheese, anyone? Add a sausage patty and fried egg!
- Try it with lox, a spread of cream cheese, capers and red onion.
Leave a comment below and tell us how you enjoyed your chaffles!
Freeze your chaffles for later
Yes, these cheese and egg waffles are freezer-friendly! Simply let them cool completely and store them in an airtight, reusable bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, I recommend doing so in the toaster so they get nice and crispy!
More low carb recipes you’ll love
- Mushroom Spinach Bacon Egg Cups
- Spinach & Goat Cheese Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust
- Buffalo Tuna Melt Stuffed Peppers
- The Best Almond Flour Pancakes
- How to Make the Best Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Get all of our best low carb recipes here!
I hope you love this chaffle recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating, plus how you served them. Enjoy, xo!
Chaffles (Cheese & Egg Waffles)
Amazing low carb cheese and egg waffles, or "chaffles," made with three simple ingredients. This easy recipe for chaffles takes just 15 minutes to make and is gluten free, vegetarian, keto-friendly and packed with protein! Enjoy chaffles for a delicious breakfast or brunch with your fav toppings and sides.
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese (or mozzarella)
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
Preheat a nonstick waffle iron to medium-high heat.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, shredded cheese and scallions.
Pour mixture into waffle iron and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the egg is fully cooked. Repeat until you've used all of the "batter."
Serve plain, with hot sauce, maple syrup, honey butter, red pepper flakes, or any of your favorite toppings! We love this with a drizzle of honey and red pepper flakes on top.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Join the AK email list and get my brand new, FREE Simple & Nourishing 7-day Meal Plan delivered to your inbox.